Moving 20 amp GFCI outlet for pool pump

Old 06-07-05, 08:35 AM
HPISavage
Visiting Guest
Moving 20 amp GFCI outlet for pool pump

I have a 20 amp GFCI outlet on the back of my house. I need to move it approx 10-12 feet to hook up to a pool pump.
What is required for this?
How difficult is this job to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-05, 09:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
An entirely new dedicated GFCI circuit, a permit/inspection, and that's just the beginning. Pools and pool pumps are complex installations to do legally and safely. Consulting with a professional electrician is highly recommended. Also, your local area may have special codes and requirements for pools that you need to address with an electrician and/or your electrical inspector.

What size is the pump motor, and how close is it to the pool? You may need to use a twist-lock style plug and cord.

The job isn't difficult per se, but it is legally complex in terms of code because there is a pool involved.

Old 06-07-05, 09:12 AM
HPISavage
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by ibpooks
An entirely new dedicated GFCI circuit, a permit/inspection, and that's just the beginning. Pools and pool pumps are complex installations to do legally and safely. Consulting with a professional electrician is highly recommended. Also, your local area may have special codes and requirements for pools that you need to address with an electrician and/or your electrical inspector.

What size is the pump motor, and how close is it to the pool? You may need to use a twist-lock style plug and cord.

The job isn't difficult per se, but it is legally complex in terms of code because there is a pool involved.

I do need a twsit lock. My neighbor was an electricians apprentice for a few years, so most likely he will do the work.
How much do you think an electrician would charge to do the work? minus the trench digging etc.