wireing

Old 06-08-05, 07:10 PM
lmacaw
Visiting Guest
wireing

i know you guys are tired of me asking dumb questions,but i got another. i got a fellow that works for an electric co. to help me with wire in attic,unfinished. instead of running wire under ac ducts he ran a 220 and some of the 110 over it. Is this ok/?? inspector has not showed today. surprise. also does code say wire at attic ladder must be protected and if so how would i do this?? put plywood over it??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 07:55 PM
Well as for running it over ducts and so on I do not think it is a violation of anything unless it is not supported correctly and in the correct amont of spacing. However, the second part of your question does have merit and is not a dumb question at all...

Anytime a cable us within 6' of the scuttle hole it must be protected against physical damage. You can do it by making sure the cables run on the side of the joints and not on top of them unless they are stapled to the side of a running board ( possibly a 2 x 4 nailed to the top of the joists ) but to answer your question....any cable within 6' of the access needs to be protected from physical damage.

Old 06-08-05, 10:28 PM
If the attic access has permanent stairs or ladder, what ElectricalMan applies to all the cable in the attic, not just the cable within 6 feet of the access hole.

Old 06-09-05, 05:30 AM
lmacaw
Visiting Guest
confused

Originally Posted by lmacaw
i know you guys are tired of me asking dumb questions,but i got another. i got a fellow that works for an electric co. to help me with wire in attic,unfinished. instead of running wire under ac ducts he ran a 220 and some of the 110 over it. Is this ok/?? inspector has not showed today. surprise. also does code say wire at attic ladder must be protected and if so how would i do this?? put plywood over it??
now i am confused.nothing new. my attic has perment pull down ladder, does this mean by NEC all cable in attic must be protected?? thanks for your help.