Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Tips for fishing wire from basement to attic of 2-story house?

Old 06-09-05, 07:02 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Can anyone who has fished wire from a basement up through two stories of a house into the attic share experiences?

I need to run 2 new 20A circuits to an office I have in a bedroom. (1 for computers, another for A/C).

I have fished wire from a basement to an attic of a 1 story houses before. However, in this house, I don't know how to deal with the part between the first and second floors. Further complicating matters, I can't locate an available interior wall that lines up on both floors so I need to fish through an insulated exerior wall. (Actually, there are two common walls on either side of the stairwell however, don't those usually have extra support beams that take a lot more work to drill through at the transition between 1st and 2nd floor?)

I need to go all the way to the attic because I need outlets for one of the circuits on both sides of the office and it is easier to go up and over through the attic for that.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 08:05 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
You could run conduit out the basement, up the exterior of the house and into the attic. Perhaps you have a nice corner to tuck it into, plus the conduit could be painted to match the house.

If not that, then I suspect you'll need to break some drywall. It's not that hard to repair.

Old 06-09-05, 09:26 AM
P
Check to see if the main soil line for the plumbing runs straight up from the basement through to the roof. If so then just fish the lines up beside this.

Old 06-09-05, 09:36 AM
C
You might have a wall on one level which is perpendicular to a wall on the other level in such a way that the cables could go from one floor to the next where the two walls cross.

Alternately, what about a conduit run that goes through a hidden corner in a closet perhaps?