Power Problem in Home

Old 06-09-05, 12:33 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
Power Problem in Home

I just had the lights turned on yesterday in a house I just bought. I have no power in 2 rooms of my home. Both rooms seem to be on the same circuit when I examined the breaker box. Power is on in rest of the house with no problem. I tried to reset the breaker and still no power. No tripping of breakers going on either. When I move the switch from off to on, I also don't feel much resistance when doing so. Could this be a possible bad circuit breaker problem? If anyone has any ideas, feel free to share them with me. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 12:45 PM
Look for a GFI plug and push the reset.

Old 06-09-05, 12:53 PM
Have you turn all the way to off. Many breakers need to be reset by going to OFF before you can turn them back on.

Old 06-09-05, 01:02 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
Ok...I will check the GFI plugs. Can any GFI plug affect a circuit regardless of location? Also, I have switched the particular breaker off and back on several times with no luck.

Old 06-09-05, 01:15 PM
Any GFI on the not working circuit.
Can be located any where also check the garage.

What rooms don't have power ?

Old 06-09-05, 01:27 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
No power in one of my bedrooms and a bathroom. The GFI in the bathroom I checked and reset, but still no power.

Old 06-09-05, 05:53 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
Checked all GFI plugs and reset...but it doesn't solve the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 06-09-05, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by KeAndri
I have switched the particular breaker off and back on several times with no luck.
Then you could have a bad breaker. Switch another one off and see if they feel the same switching them on again. If not then you could have a fault on the circuit or the breaker could be bad.

Old 06-09-05, 07:42 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
Angry

Thanks...guess I will head to the store tomorrow for a new circuit breaker and replace. If that doesn't solve it then that leaves a fault in that circuit somewhere...I'll have to call an electrician for that. Hope fixing a fault in a circuit isn't too expensive....if that's the problem.

Old 06-09-05, 08:27 PM
In what year was the house built?

Old 06-09-05, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by KeAndri
No power in one of my bedrooms and a bathroom. The GFI in the bathroom I checked and reset, but still no power.
A GFCI receptacle won't reset with no power feeding it.

Old 06-10-05, 01:12 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
The house was built in 2000. Also...the GFI outlet in the bathroom has power to it, but the light switch doesn't. Also, the bedroom has no power to the light switch nor the outlets.

Old 06-10-05, 01:26 PM
While you're at the store, spend $8 more on an outlet tester (plugs in, has three lights and one button), and $2 on a neon-bulb circuit tester.

Old 06-10-05, 01:35 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
Thanks...for the info. Also...there was once a ceiling fan in the dining room. There is no ceiling fan there now just the wires. The outlets work in the dining room, but I'm unsure about the ceiling fan connections. Also, there is an exterior light outside of the house on the patio leading from the dining room that doesn't work when I put a bulb in. Is it possible that a bad connection at these points could be the cause of my problem? The other exterior lights work, but not the one on the patio. Is it possible these points could be on the that circuit also? Can the two things you mentioned to purchase tell me if there is a problem?

Old 06-10-05, 01:57 PM
Yes, it is very likely that the removed ceiling fan is causing the problems. Have you examined the wiring at said location?

Old 06-10-05, 01:59 PM
How many cables and wires are in the box where the ceiling fan was? If the fan was incorrectly removed, that could very likely be the source of the whole problem. Was the ceiling fan remove by the prior owner as he departed? I think this may be the smoking gun.

Old 06-10-05, 02:23 PM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
There were 3 ceiling fans total in the house that are now removed...1 in the living room, 1 in the bedroom, and the 1 in the dining room. The 1 in the living room and the 1 in the bedroom have four wires hang down. The one in the dining room only has 3 wires hanging down that I can see.

Old 06-10-05, 02:38 PM
By "four wires", do you mean one black, one red, one white and one bare, all coming from the same cable? And by "3 wires", do you mean one black, one white, and one bare, all coming from the same cable? And by "hanging down", do you mean coming out of the box? We need to know all the wires in the box, even ones that might not be "hanging down" and might not be ones "that I can see". Shut off the breaker, get out the ladder, and make a closer inspection.

Old 06-13-05, 07:00 AM
KeAndri
Visiting Guest
Well...I tested the outlets with testers and it says "open hot." There isn't any voltage coming through any of the outlets in the 2 rooms except the outlet in the bathroom. I'm not sure how to test the light switches and light fixture connections. Can someone help? The ceiling fan connections in the living room and master bedroom have 1 red, 1 black, one white, and a bare wire. On the ceiling fan connections in the dining room, I see 1 black, one white, and one bare wire hanging down...the red wire seems to be capped off and pushed up into the box.