12/2 NM in Sched 40 conduit

Old 06-10-05, 04:38 PM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
12/2 NM in Sched 40 conduit

I recently installed 12/2 NM cable in my garage using 1/2" schedule 40 conduit. While most of the run inside the conduit has the entire wire covering intact, at a 90-degree turn (using an right angle pull elbow)I stripped off the outer yellow jacket and ran the wires through the conduit into the junction box. This ok with code? Also, once I entered the garage attic space (garage has sheetrock ceiling) I discontinued use of the conduit and ran the cable over the "floor joists" stapling every 24". Also ok with code?
TIA,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-05, 06:21 PM
It's never okay to strip the jacket off NM-B cable and use the individual wires inside. Outside of the sheathing, the wires inside are unrated and not allowed to be used. Although a technical code violation, it's not the worst thing in the world. It's mainly a problem in that the wires have never been tested for safety when used this way.

Running NM-B across the joists in a garage ceiling is probably okay as long as they aren't likely to be subject to any physical damage.

Old 06-11-05, 05:38 AM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
John,
Thanks for the reply. Is it worth swapping the unsheathed NM wires for THHN in the conduit? I'd replace the pull elbow with a junction box and make the transition. THe attic never has any traffic so they should not be disturbed.
Bob

Old 06-12-05, 05:11 PM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
bump
not sure if it is worth the effort?

Old 06-12-05, 07:30 PM
Me neither.