Using Plastic boxes with Metal Studs

Old 06-11-05, 09:23 PM
Using Plastic boxes with Metal Studs

All,
Is it ok to use Plastic boxes (fastened by screws) in metal studs.

Thanks
Ggops

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-05, 02:46 PM
You can use plastic boxes with metal studs, but they must be the kind of boxes designed for metal studs. Don't use boxes designed for wood studs.

Old 06-12-05, 03:47 PM
It is allowable in most jurisdictions, however there is a safety consideration. If you use an plastic box, the steel stud assembly is not bonded to ground. If the studs become unintentionally energized (long screw pierces a cable), the entire stud assembly presents a dangerous shock hazard.

Check out this link from my electrical safety authority for more details http://www.esasafe.com/main_index/PD...s/01-04-FL.pdf

Old 06-21-05, 03:49 AM
My idea??

My basement is being finished as we speak. My plan is to attach the wood stud boxes to a 8" or so long 2x4. Screw said 2x4 to the metal stud and add a ground to the stud (with greed screw). Thereby meeting the requirement of grounding the metal frame. Also, this adds a bit of stability to the steel stud.
Does this sound correct? I have not found the steel stud boxes at lowes or HD.

If needed I could probably get the plastic boxes with the mount for metal studs at the electric supply house.

Old 06-21-05, 04:50 AM
Both Lowes and HD here carry the metal boxes for steel studs and I used them in my basement. They are 4x4 metal boxes which require the use of appropriate mud rings depending on whether you want a one or two gang box.

The 4x4 boxes with mud rings were by far the easiest boxes I have ever used when it came time to install the outlets and switches - plenty of space to tuck the wires into...

Old 06-21-05, 06:56 AM
I know HD and Lowes have the metal boxes, but I really want the plastic. Especially since I already have a stock of them. I have been hording them over the last few years in preparation for my basement. BUT I decided to go with the metal studs.

Old 06-21-05, 09:46 AM
Buying new boxes will be less than 1% of the cost of finishing your basement. Look at the big picture.