dishwasher and disposal on same circuit

Old 06-12-05, 12:30 AM
mcnattyp
Visiting Guest
dishwasher and disposal on same circuit

I recently added a new circuit into my kitchen with which I had planned to run a new dishwasher and in-sink disposal. It may be a silly question, but here goes:

My dishwasher product specs say "11.0 Total Amps (Load Rated)" and the disposal has "6.9 Total Amps" printed on the side. Does that mean that a single 20 amp circuit will be enough for both these units?

The only reason I ask is because the dishwasher installation instructions mention using a 20 amp circuit in case a disposal is also going to be on the circuit, otherwise a 15 amp. But the disposal instructions say to use a dedicated 15 amp circuit just for itself. Sounds like simple math to me.

A quick confirmation of my intended plan would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
NAT

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-05, 03:12 PM
mcnattyp
Visiting Guest
-bump-

Seems like an easy question...

NAT

Old 06-12-05, 03:20 PM
Yes, it is an easy question once it is read.

Yes, you can put them both on the same 20-amp circuit. I usually prefer to give them separate circuits (in case I upgrade either of these appliances to more power-hungry ones in the future), but it'll be fine if yours are both on the same circuit.

Old 06-14-05, 11:33 AM
mcnattyp
Visiting Guest
Thanks, John. I'm at max capacity on my service panel right now so a single circuit it will be.

Old 06-14-05, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One option is to run the second circuit back to the main panel, but connect both of them to the same breaker. You can sometimes put two wires on one breaker (if the manufacture allows it) or make a pigtail and use a wirenut. This effectively puts the two wire runs on one circuit.

If you or someone else upgrades the main panel in the future, then you can have two circuits. Again, this is totally optional as the single 20A circuit should be more than enough for the disposal and the dishwasher you have now.

Old 06-16-05, 09:13 AM
jcvilla75
Visiting Guest
d/w and disposal issues

I just went throught exact same issue. My 20amp though did not stop the d/w from 'crashing' to PF each time. THought perhaps my d/w was the issue but it works fine on other circuits. NOt to doubt the gentlemans advice, but even with a 20 amp, i couldn't get the two to work together.

Cheers,

JOhn.

Old 06-16-05, 09:58 AM
Are they cord and plug connected equipment?

Side note: Washington state electrical inspectors require adherence to the manufacturer's instructions when installing equiment.

Old 06-16-05, 01:30 PM
jcvilla75
Visiting Guest
both plug, not sure if i understand you, but the d/w has worked on an extension cord for other outlets in the house, but not from that outlet..

Old 06-16-05, 02:20 PM
John,

Your dishwasher and disposal (when run together) likely exceed the current capacisy of the circuit.

Old 06-16-05, 02:39 PM
We usually will run a seperate line to both and I have even seen some electricians run a 12/3 wG and do a multi-circuit on these but in regards to your space in the panel....remember you can always get a tandom breaker for one of the existing lines and move it to free up another space and still run two different feeds ( ie: 12-3 wg ) if you are worried about tripping the breakers.

My suggestion would be to run a 12/3 wG .....but I would make sure the dishwasher and the disposal are on different lines in the panel by the requirement to use a 2 pole 20A Common Bar Tied Breaker....The code requires this when sharing a neutral on a multi-wire circuit.

This way you still only have to run on cable to the area you need it.....it is fine for the to share a neutral.....

IMPORTANT NOTE:
Using a double-pole breaker assures that the two legs of the circuit will be
forced (in most panels) to opposite legs of the 240-volt panel - a requirement
when circuits use a shared neutral, such as in multiwire branch circuits. If
individual 120V breakers are used, it's possible for a future modification or
rearrangement of breakers in the panel to in advertently move one or both
individual breakers so that they both end up on the same 120V leg of the panel
- which is improper when a shared neutral is involved. (Improper because the
shared unbalanced load could exceed the rating of the wire.)

SO as I stated before...get a 2 pole 20A breaker....and a tandom breaker to replace one of the breakers in the panel to free up the space for the 2 pole breaker that is ( connected together with a center bar )....and use the tandom breaker for two of the existing circuits already in the house to make room for the 2 pole breaker....Man I am long winded but is my best suggestion to get the job done in the same amount of space.

They make tandom breakers for most brands these days so it should not be too hard to find.

But john is right...we usually run a seperate line to each of those appliances when we are roughing in.

Last edited by ElectricalMan; 06-16-05 at 02:58 PM.