Older home bedroom recepticle question

Old 06-12-05, 08:40 AM
Question Older home bedroom recepticle question

Our house built 1925 has service panel 100amp about 15 years old. Breakers are fine. Mostly new NM Romex wiring, except for a first floor bedroom that has older black plastic sheathed NM wiring( no I.D. printing on black sheathing) with cloth covered (2) wires inside of it. This wiring leads to a J box that branches of into 3 receptacles in the bedroom. All just 2 prong. For My purposes, the 3 receptacles in the bedroom are plenty for my clock radio, lamp & t.v. Sorry for being long winded, but I want to be accurate. Two of the 3 receptacles are very loose where they receive the applicance plugs. This whole circuit is on a 15amp breaker with #14 wire as described above as black with sheathing. Haveing a full unfinished basement (staying that way) I want to change the breaker to a 20amp, since I have a free 100ft. roll of #12/2 NM Romex, while installing new boxes with new receptacles (grounded 3 prong). Finally, my question.....While doing this am I required to add a receptacle to the fourth wall just because I am working on this project or can I leave it with just the 3 existing receptacles that are plenty for me . I do not plan to move from the house. Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-05, 11:33 AM
I would say no, but it really depends on the amount of work being done in the room.

You can replace the receptacles with new two prong receptacles, which will fix the problem of the receptacles having worn out..

Old 06-12-05, 01:02 PM
Thank You racraft, I installed the new breaker, new j box and new wire and receptacles. They all work, but when I plug in my little $6. tester it keeps giving me an "open neutral" indication. Do I look back at the panel where the neutral is connected or on terminal screws? I did not backstab any wires.
Thanks.

Old 06-12-05, 03:02 PM
You say that they all work, so I'm going to assume that when you plug in a television or clock or radio that they work fine. In that case, you cannot possibly have an "open neutral". So either you are misreading an "open ground" indication, or your tester is broken.

Old 06-12-05, 03:50 PM
Thank You John & racraft. I was misreading the tester. Those little square charts with the black & white boxes were made for folks who can see! My reading glasses allowed me to read it correctly. The project has come out well for a Sunday job. Thanks so much to the DIY community.

Old 06-12-05, 06:50 PM
Bedroom circuits require AFCI breaker. Not sure the amount of work you did would require this upgrade, but I believe it might.