blown circuit new panel

Old 06-13-05, 04:20 PM
love2golf
Visiting Guest
blown circuit new panel

Help! We purchased our house almost a year ago this past summer and had an electrician come and install a new panel, brought it up to code. In all the homes I have lived in there was always a "main" panel which turned off the panel inside the home. I can not locate the main panel anywhere?!

Problem 2: I came home today and realized that the GDO did not work. Didn't think anything of it, didn't know how old it was went down to the panel and the 15 amp breaker was tripped. Problem 3: It is/was very hot today and muggy. I removed the panel cover and looked at all the breakers. There is a double 100 breaker (total of 200) at the top of all the other breakers. Is this the "main" breaker for this new panel? Problem 4: When I reset the tripped breaker I saw a "blue" spark at the rear of the breaker. Does this mean that the breaker is bad?

Any help would greatly be appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-05, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The panel you have is your main panel. The 100 amp breaker is your main breaker. It is a 100 amp breaker. You do not double it. It is 100 amps at 240 volts.

There is always a spark when an electrical connection is made or broken. The spark you saw is normal.

I do not know what you mean by GDO, but if that breaker continues to trip you need to find out why. It could be a bad breaker or a bad appliance.

Except for a possible problem with your GDO (whatever that is) or it's circuit, I don;t think you have any problems.

Old 06-13-05, 06:29 PM
GDO confused me too? (garbage disposal is my guess?)

Old 06-13-05, 06:34 PM
Received 110 Votes on 100 Posts
GDO is normally a garage door opener.

Old 06-17-05, 05:30 AM
love2golf
Visiting Guest
thanks for replying. I have gotten into this a little further. GDO is garage door opener. I have an attic fan on this line as well as the TV/stereo. All the others are either lights and a couple of outlets. I have tried switching the breakers and the line still trips. I even went up to a 20 and it still tripped, I only did this because as when I was crawling in the attic I found 12 and 14 ga. being used. What I have done is remove each outlet/switch and test the breaker. EVERYTHING that was on that particular circuit has been opened and tested. To me that tells me that there still is a hot to ground outside the j-boxes somewhere in the house. Am I correct in this assumption? Is there a tester that I can pick up at my local Lowe's, ie Greenlee?! that will help me further?

thanks again for helping me out!!!!

Old 06-17-05, 05:38 AM
Put the 15 amp breaker back. Never change a breaker to a larger size unless you are sure that ALL the wiring on the circuit can handle the larger breaker. 14 g wire cannot be used with a 20 amp breaker, and is a fire hazard.

Unplug everything on the circuit. If the circuit still trips then you will have to isolate the problem. One junction box at a time, open the circuit. Do this by disconnecting the wires (hot and neutral). Disconnect them with the circuit breaker off (easy, since it trips), and then turn the breaker on (or at least attempt to). If you can turn it on then the problem is after the junction box. If it still trips then it is before the junction box.

Yes, this will take time. If the circuit is not serial, but rather branches out, then you will have to open the circuit at two locations at the same time. You will find wither a failed device, a bad connection at a device, or a short in the wire somewhere (perhaps from a nail or screw in the wall).

Good luck.

Old 06-18-05, 06:43 AM
love2golf
Visiting Guest
thanks for the reply.

I have removed everything and took an ext. cord (raw end) to each outlet, switch and appliance and tested them. I think I have a ground someplace between a box and the panel.

Is there a tool or tester that could pinpoint where the ground is occuring? I think it would be quicker to just rewire the things on that breaker.

What is the recommended size ga to use? 14?

Old 06-18-05, 09:58 AM
I always use 12g since you are 1 step ahead no matter what you decide to install on the line a few years down the road. 14g wire is rated for a 15A breaker and 12g is rated for a 20A breaker.

Old 06-21-05, 05:06 AM
love2golf
Visiting Guest
To all that replied, Thanks so much for offering your advice. My father-in-law and I found the source, there was a ground up in the kitchen light ceiling box. We did find that there was about 15 or so items on that 15a breaker. We are now rewiring the attic and using tandems to carry the load since I only had a slot for one 15a. We are using 2 tandems and equally diverting what was originally on it.
Thanks again guys! I will be using you again in the future!

Tom