Wood Shop Wiring Problem

Old 06-13-05, 07:50 PM
Bentley Bear
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Wood Shop Wiring Problem

Please Help,

I am a professor at a University and my technical director is out of the country. I am being asked to specify the types of outlets that I want in my temporary wood shop space. Specifically, I need to list the voltage and amps required on each outlet. Although most of the tools we use work on 110 voltage with AMPs from 10 to 30 (on average) I also plan to purchase some large tools like a panel saw and industrial table saw. I have seen these and other large tools list 220 and 230 Voltage along with various amp ratings. In order to accomodate both large and small woodworking tools - what wiring specifications should I ask for?

Thank you,

Bentley Bear in Memphis, Tennessee

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 03:45 AM
You need to find out the requirement specs on your future equipment if you know what you are ordering. As far as the 110 outlets, dedicated 20amp circuits for each larger piece of equipment (CMS, table saw, etc). You can have shared 20amp 110 for the handtools. Depending on your dust collection system, shopvac, etc should be on its own circuit.

Old 06-14-05, 08:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The large equipment needs to have individual circuits installed that are dedicated to and sized for that specific tool, so you can't really install a generic circuit for "an industrial table saw". Once you get or pick out a particular saw, then you can know what size circuit to install.

A good option would be to just have conduit installed to the locations of the big tools so you can pull the wire, and decide on recpetacle types and breaker sizes later.