Breaker size for dust collector

Old 06-14-05, 12:17 PM
rlerman
Visiting Guest
Breaker size for dust collector

I have a dust collector (single phase) that runs on 220 and the motor says its 15 amps. What size double pole breaker do I need. I have a 30 amp breaker on hand, will this work or should I downsize to a 20a double pole?
I am using 10/2 wire.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 12:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the nameplate actually say 15A or the advertising on the machine say 15A? Often, the plate on the motor will specify the OCPD size.

Old 06-14-05, 12:27 PM
rlerman
Visiting Guest
the nameplate on the motor says 15a

Old 06-14-05, 01:02 PM
Does the motor name plate say anything about overload protection, thermal protection, etc? Does the dust collector unit have an overload protector?

Motors require both overload protection and short circuit protection. If the motor has integral overload protection, or the apparatus provides motor overload protection, then the circuit breaker need only provide short circuit protection, and can be much larger than what the motor needs. If the appliance depends upon the circuit breaker for both short circuit and overload protection, then the circuit breaker must be exactly what the manufacturer specifies.

Do you have any other information about this dust collector?

-Jon

Old 06-14-05, 01:48 PM
rlerman
Visiting Guest
It's a jet DC1200 dust collector. The plate on the motor just says 230v 15a, nothing about overload protection.

I called the manufacturer and they said 20a was fine as was 30a, but they indicated the motor did not have overload protection. I assume they know what they are talking about, but I have my doubts.

Old 06-14-05, 02:09 PM
Use a 40 amp breaker to protect the conductors between the panel and the motor; #10 wire , as planned.

If you want to protect the motor from a "burn-out" that results from over-load, consider controlling the motor with a "starter" rated in H-P.Also--- a starter is equipped with "heavy-duty" contacts that are durable.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!