Boxes to steel studs

Old 06-14-05, 12:08 PM
Boxes to steel studs

Hi, How does one fix electrical boxes to steel studs? I found these clips once, but can't find them again!!! Any other ideas??? Thanks I already bought the boxes, so going to buy others is out of the question....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 05:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What type of boxes did you buy? Metal or plastic? Front bracket or side bracket? 4" square boxes and a plaster ring?

Depending on what you bought will make a difference.

Old 06-15-05, 10:26 AM
I agree with PC......hard to assist without knowing the nature of the boxes you bought and are so passionate to keep...

let us know and we will try to assist you every way we can....

Old 06-20-05, 09:44 AM
heh heh!!! Passionate to keep!!!
Well... metal boxes... single switch/plug boxes.... I did find these brackets, but cannot find them again.... Let me ask this... I am covering the lower half of the wall with a 7/8" wood barnboard... Can I attach the boxes to the wood directally or do I have to attach it to the stud? I have like 12 or 14 of these brackets, but not enough to do all the plugs and switches...

Old 06-20-05, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
For new work (which it sounds like what you are doing) the boxes must be attached to the studs. Also since the sheathing material is flammable wood, the boxes must extend all the way through the sheathing. In other words, there can be no exposed wood between the receptacle and the box.