NEC for Dummys

Old 06-14-05, 04:06 PM
lmacaw
Visiting Guest
NEC for Dummys

can you tell me if there is an NEC guide book that i can buy that would help me in meeting all the codes for a rewireing a house, without having to buy the full version??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-05, 04:32 PM
Black & Decker Residential Wireing, Stanley Residential Rewireing, Home Depot Residential 1-2-3. They are all easy reading and great illustrations to go along. I learned on here that they conform to the NEC. Hope this helps. Also I have purchased these all at once before on that famous auction sight for real short $$$.

Old 06-14-05, 04:34 PM
lmacaw
Visiting Guest
thank you. i need all the help i can get

Old 06-14-05, 04:41 PM
The actual NEC book is so hard to read without having taken courses to learn all the terminology. these other books give the same results and meet the NEC code. Whenever in doubt always check with your local code office, in my town they are very helpful.

Old 06-14-05, 04:46 PM
lmacaw
Visiting Guest
yes but my local code office passed a rewire on my moms house. it is not up to code, wires in attic not protected, 14/2 wire on 20 amp. breaker,GFIC within 6" of gas main. they now tell me i must find anything not in code and they will fix it. but i am having hard time. no electrican here will help because they all have to work with code and city for their jobs. cant blame them.

Old 06-14-05, 04:52 PM
A 20 amp breaker requires #12 wire. Not #14. However, if the wring is already in place and depending on what this circuit serves, you may be able to determine that changing the breaker to a 15amp instead of the 20 amp is an easier solution. I will have to defer the question about your gas main to an expert. I'm sure you will get the correct advice.

Old 06-14-05, 05:04 PM
lmacaw
Visiting Guest
thanks for the help, i sure need it.

Old 06-15-05, 09:15 AM
Actually the NEC does put out a Handbook on the code which helps alot to newbies in electrical as it tries to explain some things but again the NEC is a guide for the code and rulings on code requirements but does not tell you anything on wiring the house in general.

The books mentioned above will help in explaining wire principles and so on but as you run into questions.......feel free to post back in the forum and I am sure we will be able to assist you as you go....

We are all CODE thumpers here....thehehehe