Troubleshooting my wall unit

Old 06-15-05, 01:03 AM
taz105
Visiting Guest
Troubleshooting my wall unit

so, last night, the power in my room went out. it happened right after i try to turn on one of the floor light which is plugged to a wall unit. the room flickered, then blacked out. checked the circuit breaker, but it is still in good working order (i even swapped with a new one). so today, i took the wall unit apart and trying to check for current. i used the volt meter to check the black and white wire... nothing, then when i connect the volt meter between the ground wire and the black, it'll light up, and same thing when i connect the ground wire with the white wire... i know this is not normal... anybody have any idea what's wrong with my circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-05, 05:54 AM
You have an open neutral.

Old 06-15-05, 06:44 AM
Agree. You have an open neutral(white).
It could be in any device on the circuit even one that is still working. If your receptacles use the backstab connections that is a good place to start your search. Move all the wires to the screw terminals.

Old 06-15-05, 11:15 AM
taz105
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by joed
Agree. You have an open neutral(white).
It could be in any device on the circuit even one that is still working. If your receptacles use the backstab connections that is a good place to start your search. Move all the wires to the screw terminals.
thanks guys,

well, how will moving the wires to the screw terminals help? if i see a burnt receptacles, should i just replace it with a new one instead?

Old 06-15-05, 11:33 AM
Backstab connections are notorious for failing. The cause of your open neutral id probably a failed backstab connection. When you pull the receptacles to check them, it will only take you a few minutes to move any backstabbed connection to the screw terminals.

Yes, if you find a burned receptacle (or any other damage for that matter), you should replace the receptacle.