New SubPanel - conduit requirements.

Old 06-15-05, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New SubPanel - conduit requirements.

My daughter and son-in law will be remodeling an older home and pretty much totally updating the electrical system. This will involve a new main 100 amp service to replace the existing and a new sub-panel inside the house (to be located in the central hallway.

At first the existing circuits will simply be fed from the new service but as remodeling and upgrading progresses, new circuits will be added to the subpanel as needed.

Since this panel will be installed in a wall and we would like to finish the wall immediately after installing the panel, I would like to have several conduits running from the panel up to the attic so we can pull wires in as the circuits are added. I anticipate using Non-Metallic cable for most if not all circuits and need to know what the conduit should be and how the cables should be secured where the enter the conduit. Do we need to install pull boxes or can we just go straight into the conduit? I assume that the conduit must be metallic since the sub panel box is metal - is that correct?

This house will have Gas for cooking, Heat and the Clothes Dryer so no 240v will be needed. I expect to make all circuits 20 amp and will need about 10-12 circuits total.

Thanks, Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-05, 04:12 PM
The panelboard can easily be removed after installation. Why not drill the required holes now in the the 2" X 4" header above where the panelboard will mount. Mount the new panelboard. Finish the wall. Remove the panelboard. Once the wall is finished, you're allowed to fish the cables through the holes and down into the panelboard w/o supporting them.

Old 06-15-05, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by thinman
Panelboards can easily be removed after installation. Why not drill the required holes now in the the 2" X 4" header above where the panelboard will mount. You could also run the sub-panel 4-wire feeder cable now. Once the wall is finished, you're allowed to fish the cables through the holes and down into the panelboard w/o supporting them.
I'm not sure I totally understand. Once the 4-wire feeder is installed and connected and some circuits are connected I don't think it would be very easy to remove the panel. Maybe the best bet would be to just have a section of drywall above the panel that could be removed whenever I need to add a circuit. I'd prefer to finish the wall right after the panel is installed, but maybe that's not practical.

Old 06-15-05, 04:28 PM
Sorry. Fish all the cables through the holes. Knockout the openings in the top of the sub-panel where each cable will enter the subpanel. Strip back the sheath from each cable, put a cable connector on and then connect the cable connector to the subpanel. That's how I do a service panel change out involving only cables.

Any idea how many cables will be needed, including the feeder cable?

Old 06-15-05, 05:19 PM
I'll need about 10 circuits, all @100v 20 amp. Can I just leave these cables coiled in the attic with them terminating in the panel box but not connected to breakers? The project is going to take several months and the house will be occupied during that time.

Old 06-15-05, 06:38 PM
manythumbs
Visiting Guest
Or you could just terminate them in some sufficiently large junction boxes in the attic and splice the connections later.

Old 06-15-05, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Joe.Carrick
I'll need about 10 circuits, all @100v 20 amp. Can I just leave these cables coiled in the attic with them terminating in the panel box but not connected to breakers? The project is going to take several months and the house will be occupied during that time.
You could do that.

Old 06-16-05, 09:31 PM
If I was going to do an upgrade I wouldnt fool with 100A service, go to 200 and be done with it. The cost is minimally different. About 150$ at most in materials.