Older Spa no GFI disconnect

Old 06-15-05, 01:06 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Older Spa no GFI disconnect

I have an older spa that was installed without a disconnect. It has a GFI built into the unit, with a regular (two pole) circuit breaker. I have been using this spa for 5+ years and the previous owner about 4 years. Adding a disconnect is out of the question(all under concrete), should I add a GFI two pole in the panel? or am I OK

Old 06-16-05, 03:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You stated the unit has a built in GFCI breaker....Am I correct?

If so you are fine, many of the old models had a GFCI at the unit or built into the plug attachment and works fine.

If you are able to TEST your GFCI at the spa you are fine.....Now if you want that added protection you are free to get a GFCI breaker if you wish.

Ok..Art: 680-42 gives information on protection...but in your case if the spa is self contained or packaged spa equipment ( as with a cord and plug nature as well ) it shall be protected with GFCI...now here is the exception:

Exception: Where a listed self-contained unit or listed packaged equipment assembly is marked to indicate that integral ground-fault circuit interrupeter protection is provided for all electrical parts within the unit or assembly ( pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls, sanitizer generators, wiring, etc. ).

So it just may be since your unit has a BUILT in GFCI you do not need to do anything furthur to protect it under CODE.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: