Romex in old BX ?

Old 06-15-05, 01:39 PM
Romex in old BX ?

Can old wires in BX Cable be replaced with 12/2 Romex with Ground?
Is it possible to pull new wires thru BX?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-05, 02:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, you cannot.

Old 06-15-05, 02:45 PM
What about THNN/THWM wire? Could it be pulled thru to replace the existing conductors?

I really hate the idea of having to remove lots of existing gypsum lath and plaster to install new NM wiring. Maybe I'll be lucky and find that the existing isn't BX but is actually rigid conduit - I'm not holding my breath but the house was built in 1957 so I might be lucky.

What's the general requirement when remodeling an older house? Do you have to replace circuits in areas where you would not otherwise be exposing the stud cavities, etc?

Old 06-15-05, 02:47 PM
BX is a cable not a conduit. You can not remove the cables and reuse the casing. I doubt you could remove the wires anyway.
The answer is still NO.

Old 06-15-05, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Whether or not you could, I'm not sure; but you aren't supposed to. Technically, that would be like pulling new THHN conductors through the outer sheathing of NM cable. BX is a cable assembly not a conduit, and pulling new conductors through it makes a new, unlisted and therefore illegal product.

You only need to bring existing electrical up to code if you modify the existing circuit in some non-trivial way. Replacing receptacles and faceplates, for example is trivial. Adding additional outlets is non-trivial.

Old 06-15-05, 03:13 PM
So if I need to add outlets then I should do it as a new circuit and just leave the existing circuits wherever it isn't feasible to totally replace them?

I guess it isn't required to upgrade the number of circuits, etc unless you are making extensive changes in a particular room. Is that correct?

About the only part of the house that will not be changed much will be the Living Room and the Central Hallway.

Old 06-16-05, 07:13 PM
Do you have attic or basement/crawlspace access. If so, you could run the wires in those areas and then just fish them up/dn the walls where the outlets are. The old wiring would be cut off and abandoned in place.