Is such a tool available?

Old 06-16-05, 06:40 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is such a tool available?

I'd like to find out the distance of a couple of wires going from the main breaker panel to a certain appliance. Is there a tool available that can measure this via principles of resistance somehow?

I know, yes, I can easily break out a tape measure but the reason I ask is that the wire runs through certain parts of the attic I literally cannot get access to.

Old 06-16-05, 07:15 AM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
You need a Time Domain Reflectometer. This is used to determine the length of wires by engineers. Maybe you can rent one somewhere.

Old 06-16-05, 11:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
or if you have a good friend in the telephone business... an outside cable maintenance guy would have a TDR that would measure it after you remove the power..

Old 06-16-05, 02:18 PM
hmmm...ok I will bite.....Why do you need to know this??

Are you looking for the voltage drop in the feed?

Otherwise I would just do a rough math guess....so many feet up the wall, then so many feet to the appliance area...so many feet down the wall...throw on a few feet for good measure and be close enough.

Before I would go looking for any specialized equipment it might be easier to answer if we knew the need for the accurate measurement...

Old 06-16-05, 07:51 PM
TDR's use the speed of travel in a transmission line. Today's units are pretty sophisticated,and can be readjusted for different types of cables. The default setting is aroung 0.6 X speed of light. I am not sure if a simple cable like Romex can be tested but , maybe.....

A high end four wire resistance bridge can measure the resistance of a wire, but it would require extremely fine resolution to differentiate between say 50 and 75 feet of #12 copper.

All in all, couldn't you just use a tape measure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: