Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Hard wiring of Generator manual transfer switch to external power inlet box.

Old 06-16-05, 08:44 AM
saint1996
Visiting Guest

I am installing a 30 AMP manual transfer switch for a 7500 WATT backup generator. The distance between the load center/manual transfer switch and the external power inlet box is 45 feet. Should I use 4 wire 10 solid, stranded or individual #10, red, black, white and green cabling. Also, what should the proper size conduit be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by saint1996
I am installing a 30 AMP manual transfer switch for a 7500 WATT backup generator. The distance between the load center/manual transfer switch and the external power inlet box is 45 feet. Should I use 4 wire 10 solid, stranded or individual #10, red, black, white and green cabling. Also, what should the proper size conduit be?
Inside or outside?

Old 06-16-05, 09:30 AM
saint1996
Visiting Guest
The load center/manual transfer switch is inside the garage, the power inlet box is outside of the garage. The conduit will be running along the interior wall of the garage, through the outer wall and down the outside wall.

Old 06-25-05, 12:24 PM
saint1996
Visiting Guest
Hard wiring of Generator manual transfer switch to external power inlet box

Hello Thinman,

Please forgive me for not responding back on my post. I feel a little like an idiot as I didn't figure out how to properly respond until today. Anyway, my question deals with the running of conduit along the upper inner wall of my garage and continuing through to the outside wall, then down to the exterior generator power inlet box. What size wire should I use (#10 stranded or solid, cable or individual wires) Again, this is to connect a 7500 Watt backup generator to a manual transfer switch located at the service entrance panel inside the garage, an overall run of 35 feet. Also, should I use metal or PVC conduit? Thank you for bearing with me. I appreciate any info that you might give me.

Saint1996