electrical current in fridge door handle

Old 06-16-05, 09:15 AM
carmen rupp
Visiting Guest
electrical current in fridge door handle

I have an older fridge in the basement and it seems to have an electric current in the door handle. Is this something serious?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by carmen rupp
I have an older fridge in the basement and it seems to have an electric current in the door handle. Is this something serious?
YES!!

Unplug it and call a repairman ASAP?

Old 06-16-05, 11:04 AM
Yes, I've seen this problem before. My grandmother had an old frig in the garage that would shock you. They main power line was leaking power to the ground where the service entered the house. I geuss the damp cement floor of the garage was the only place that had low enough resistance feel current through. Definately have it looked at and fixed.

good luck

Old 06-16-05, 11:16 AM
It depends on what you mean by "electric current in the door handle", and on how you determined this.
Some refrigerators have electric indicators in the handle to indicate the unit is turned on and running. Some refrigerators have heaters in the doors to aid in defrosting.

Do tell us what you mean and how you determined this.

Old 06-16-05, 03:01 PM
Are you saying when you grab the handle and when standing on the bare concrete you feel a voltage to your hand?

If this is the case...unplug it......my guess is you need to have someone look at the plug on the fridge or the connection inside the fridge for the plug as it seems to me if this is happening....voltage is leaking to the frame and when you touch it..your FEET ground it out and thus you feel the voltage...

But again........could have been made to stop midnight snacks...but I doubt it.....BeCareful......if it were me I would unplug it....and check for cont. between the frame and the power cord HOT lead.