220 and 110 mix up A/C related?

Old 06-16-05, 10:09 PM
yaqui
Visiting Guest
220 and 110 mix up A/C related?

I bow before the electrical gurus, great advice here guys.
I have one that has me stumped to no end. My A/C and my living room wiring seem to have become related somehow. The condensor is 220 and my living room is of course 110. The lights in the living room flickered when the a/c kicked on and then both the a/c and living room lights went out. I checked the breaker and the 220 for the a/c was tripped and I reset it. The 15 amp breaker for the living room had not tripped but I reset it also. After the reset nothing came back on. The a/c takes a few minutes so I waited, and when it kicked on so did the living room elec. This has me stumped. Could mice or rats have chewed through some wires? Most wiring is in the crawl space under the house. I have checked junction boxes for plugs but not for lights. I just don't understand how these can be crossing. If the a/c blower is running and the living room has electricity, I can cut the breaker to the living room and the lights go out. The a/c blower stays on. The condensor outside doesn't work either way...We have lived in this 38 year old home for 8 years.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-05, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have a serious problem. Sounds like half your panel is being fed through through your AC by the other half.

Call your power company NOW. Don't wait, call them now. In the mean time, don't turn on your AC or any other 240 volt devices. In fact, go to your pane and turn off ALL 240 volt breakers. You risk damaging any 240 volt devices if you turn them on.

The power company will help you determine if this is their problem or your problem. if it;'s their problem, they will fix it. If it's your problem they still may fix it, or they will at least tell you it's your problem.

Call them NOW.

Old 06-17-05, 06:56 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
One of your power lines is dead. There are two power lines coming into your house. One of them has gone open and the power is flowing through your AC to energize the other line. Call the POCO NOW and see if they can determine the problem. It could be connections at transformer, weather head, meter, your main breaker. The first three the POCO should fix.

Old 06-17-05, 07:45 AM
yaqui
Visiting Guest
That makes some sense.
thanks I have called the power company.
p

Old 06-17-05, 10:59 AM
yaqui
Visiting Guest
Well the power company said I have a ground touching a neutal outside where the power comes into the house. Bad news. The guys I have here to fix it stood around and talked about how dangerous everything was and then explained that it would be $800.00 to rewire and replace a few pieces at the junction box outside the house. At $80.00 per hour and maybe $200.00 for parts. It should be close to $400.00. So I balked and the guys talked about how bad the need the money so $400.00 would be okay. It pisses me off that people will try and take advantage of a situation. Oh here is thie guy, probably doesn't know crap, nice house has money...Thank goodness for the people who post to this site. You guys saved me $400.00 dollars because I know what I am talking about. And I know because, I learned from those that reply to posts. Sorry to ramble, thanks again.
paul in dallas

Old 06-17-05, 11:13 AM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Ground touching neutral does not make sense for the problem you are having. Ground and neutral are connected together in your main panel. That is required.
The problem you described was an open hot leg. Usually it only aloose connection that can be tightened.

Old 06-17-05, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Something is fishy. I sure hope that you heard something wrong or that something got lost in translation.

The ground and the neutral are supposed to be connected at either the meter box or at the main panel. If they accidentally get connected somewhere else, it is not good, but it won’t cause the symptoms you have.

Old 06-17-05, 01:46 PM
yaqui
Visiting Guest
yes you guys are right. Translation was wrong. An open hot leg it was. The junction box outside was fried. As were some wires. and the breaker was not salvageable is that a word?
Lights and A/C running cold now. It would have taken them two hours if they were better prepaired. Oh well live and learn.
I have said it before, and I will say it again. Raycraft and joed, you guys kick a__. If you are ever in Dallas, drinks are on me.....

Old 06-17-05, 01:53 PM
yaqui
Visiting Guest
yes you guys are right. Translation was wrong. An open hot leg it was. The junction box outside was fried. As were some wires. and the breaker was not salvageable is that a word?
Lights and A/C running cold now. It would have taken them two hours if they were better prepaired. Oh well live and learn.
I have said it before, and I will say it again. Raycraft and joed, you guys kick a__. If you are ever in Dallas, drinks are on me.....