Questions about subpanels

Old 06-17-05, 01:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about subpanels

Ok I have successfully managed to run out of space on my 100 amp service breaker panel and wish to add more. I was toldd I should add a subpanel.
Here are the things i wish to add:
1 subpanel in garage for the lights, plugs, a 220v 4800 watt cont heater, plus the ability to run a small welder (110 volt buzzbox)

1 or 2 breakers for a dishwasher and range in my kitchen

My question is two fold.

First how big of a service should i run as a subpanel off the main panel.
Second will my 100 amp svc be enough for all this wattage or should i consider 200 amp svc.
Third if 100 amp svc will be suitable what genral code requirements am i looking at for the placement of a subpanel??

Thanks in advance to any one who can shed light on my quandries.

Last edited by Wonderslug; 06-17-05 at 06:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-05, 08:15 AM
Hello,

Firstly, you need to post more info about your existing panel and the circuits in their because we are not able to tell you if the 100A panel is enough once you add the sub-panel or if you can add the subpanel because we would need to have more information.

Can't compute loads without any factual loads listed in regards to what is already on the 100A panel and it sounds full so again list whats in it and we might be able to compute it.

Secondly, What is the Sq Footage of your house and are you planning on expanding it or making more future upgrade or additions?

All those things come into factor when you are looking at the possible choice of upgrading to a 200A or staying with 100A....in most cases I would suggest an upgrade but again my own option.

Old 06-17-05, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
Hello,

Firstly, you need to post more info about your existing panel and the circuits in their because we are not able to tell you if the 100A panel is enough once you add the sub-panel or if you can add the subpanel because we would need to have more information.

Can't compute loads without any factual loads listed in regards to what is already on the 100A panel and it sounds full so again list whats in it and we might be able to compute it.

Secondly, What is the Sq Footage of your house and are you planning on expanding it or making more future upgrade or additions?

All those things come into factor when you are looking at the possible choice of upgrading to a 200A or staying with 100A....in most cases I would suggest an upgrade but again my own option.

Ok here is some of the info...

Square fottage is approx 990 sqft with 3/4 full basement (finished)with rest crawl space.

Breaker box is a blue line loadcenter (24 slot) with 40a(1), 30a(2), 15a (3) taking up 10 spaces all double pole---There are 12 other single pole 15 amp breakers along with 2 empty slots left

The only upgrades are the making of my cgarage into a warm workspace the adding of the diswasher and range in kitchen but other than what I mentioned in my earlier posts there will be no major change to the dwelling.

Old 06-17-05, 08:01 PM
Does the 990 count the finished basement? Tell us the total finished square feet--we don't care where it is. Then tell us whether the following are gas or electric: home heat, cooking, clothes drying, hot water. Then tell us if you have an air conditioner and if so how many tons.

Old 06-18-05, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson
Does the 990 count the finished basement? Tell us the total finished square feet--we don't care where it is. Then tell us whether the following are gas or electric: home heat, cooking, clothes drying, hot water. Then tell us if you have an air conditioner and if so how many tons.
In that case it would be 990 * (1 + .75) = 1732.5 sq feet

Furthermore I misused the word range ... I meant to say a microwave /over the range fan that needs a wall plug and since it is a split circut kitchen i imagine that a new single 16 amp will be neede for that

AC is 10 tons

hot wate and heat are both gas

the rest would be electric (cooking and laundry)

Old 06-18-05, 07:55 AM
Trust me....the AC unit is not 10 Tons........a 4,000 Sq Ft house would use a 5 Ton unit or a 2.5 Ton and 1.5 Ton....

I think you may be misreading the reading on your AC unit.....no one in their right mind would put a 10 Ton on a less than 1,000 Sq Ft House.

Old 06-19-05, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
Trust me....the AC unit is not 10 Tons........a 4,000 Sq Ft house would use a 5 Ton unit or a 2.5 Ton and 1.5 Ton....

I think you may be misreading the reading on your AC unit.....no one in their right mind would put a 10 Ton on a less than 1,000 Sq Ft House.
Sorry about the it is a 1.5 ton A/C unit with a 2.5 ton condenser the 10 was an editing mistake.