Ballast rated timer?

Old 06-17-05, 08:49 PM
Ballast rated timer?

Does anyone know how to tell if a timer is rated to be used on a ballasted light? I have fluorescent aquarium lightning, of course with ballasts, that I want to put on a timer. I have seen some terrible pics of folks who have had their timers melt and discolor and came to find out they were not ballasted rated. So, how exactly do you tell? I was looking at all of the timers at the local hardware stores and saw none that specifically stated they were rated for ballasted lights. I did, however, see an outdoor model that stated it was R resistant. What is R resistant? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 07:13 AM
R means it is rated for RESISTIVE loads, i.e. lamps, heaters, etc. as opposed to INDUCTIVE loads like motors and ballasts. Check with the manufacturer to see if it will handle any wattage of ballast load.

Old 06-20-05, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is likely that inductive load timers will be mechanical in nature and not digital. It is relatively expensive to build an electronic circuit that is capable of handling inductive loads as compared to resistive loads without using mechanical relays.

You might want to look at something that is designed as a pump timer for swimming pools, etc.

Old 06-20-05, 06:59 PM
I actually have seen timers that state they are ideal for pool pumps but they don't mention anything about being safe for a ballasted load. So, is it safe to assume that if it is advertized as ideal for a pool pump then it is safe for a ballasted light fixture? Thanks.

Old 06-21-05, 08:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Technically, a motor and a ballast are similar loads. I suspect a timer that is okay for a motor would be okay for a ballast. This is only supposition however. To be really sure, contact the manufacturer(s) and ask if the timers in question are okay to use with ballasts.

Old 06-21-05, 05:54 PM
Great, thanks!