new circuit trips when flipping light switch

Old 06-18-05, 10:53 AM
Exclamation new circuit trips when flipping light switch

hi,
i had a room with 2 unswitched wall sconces, so i decided to install a switch to control them.

i ran new lines of 12/2 to the 2 pole switch, connected it to the wire going out to the 2 wall sconces, and pigtailed it to the switch. the switch has 2 brass screws.

all my connections seem to be good, but everytime i flip the switch to turn on the lights, the breaker trips. i just went out and got a new breaker, in case that was it, but it still trips.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Last edited by havab; 06-18-05 at 11:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-05, 12:12 PM
havab,

You Wrote :

"i ran new lines of 12/2 to the 2 pole switch, connected it to the wire going out to the 2 wall sconces, and pigtailed it to the switch. the switch has 2 brass screws."

You may need to explain this better....but here is what I can gather from your post you are doing.

Without going into too much detail it sounds like you have a dead short on the new wire you ran and when you turn on the switch you have voltage on each " brass screw " causing as short.....

Now......I will GUESS at this because I can't really gather your explanation except that you have a HOT feed at the sconse...you ran a 12/2 to a switch location......ok if that is correct make sure you did this...

1.) You used the WHITE wire to connect to the black HOT wires in the box where the scones are at so that it brings the HOT over to the wall switchs....

2.) Please both the white and black in the wall switch location on the screws of the single pole switch....sounds like you are fine with that.

Now....in the scones you want to take the WHITE that is part of the feed for the existing wall scones and make sure that it connected directly to the wall scones...( DO NOT hook the white in your 12/2 you ran with it..., That was explained above )

Now.......the concept you are doing is called a " Switch Leg " and no neutral is needed in the switch location because you are simply switching the hot leg only.....just make sure you remove the black wires that originally connected to the scones.....that wire should be connected under a wire nut with the white wire going down to your new switches...ignore the fact it is white at this point...in fact would be better and CODE complaint to go ahead and wrap that white one in the 12/2 with black tape......required now in the new code.

Hope this explains it.....I think possibly you have both the old feed connected to one of the scones and the new switch to one also causing a dead short.

Old 06-18-05, 01:18 PM
actually, I have the hot feed coming into the switch first, then out to the sconces.

i feel pretty dumb, but the issue was that I pigtailed the hot an neutral wires and connected each to one of the terminals on the switch.

so....i connected the power black directly to the switch, then pigtailed the 2 black wires going to the sconces to the other terminal on the switch. whites are just joined together in the box.

thanks for the detailed response, i appreciate your time.

Old 06-18-05, 05:14 PM
AHHH....an important part you left out in the original post...that the power was going into the switch...from your post you stated (2) unswitched scones which in order to be unswitched would mean to most people the feed is at the scones.....so had to assume a switch leg based on what you posted...

Remember in the future be as DETAILED as possible in your posts because even with the years of experience we have as electricians we are not mind readers...lol......

Glad you got it all sorted out.