Ceiling box installation

Old 06-20-05, 07:59 AM
Ceiling box installation

I'm trying to determine how the ceiling box pictured in the link below is mounted. I'm pretty sure there is a joist running alongside the box close to where the write enters it but I see no mounting screws anywhere inside the box. I'm trying to install a ceiling fan in this room but the plastic box is too flimsy as is, I had planned on removing this one and installing a metal box either directly to the joist or by useing of the the ceiling fan braces from Home Depot. Does anyone have an idea of how this box is probably mounted to my joists? The attic is full of blown insulation which makes it close to impossible to get up there an walk around. Thanks for any help.

http://members7.clubphoto.com/ken996...ner-5b0f.phtml

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-05, 08:11 AM
It's hard to tell from your picture how this box is mounted, but you should assume it cannot support a ceiling fan unless you are absolutely certain that it can.

Old 06-20-05, 08:11 AM
It's nailed to the joist with two angled nails on the outside of the box. You can remove it by slipping a hacksaw blade or sawsall blade between the box and the joist and sawing through the two nails. You might need to gently pry it away from the joist to get clearance for the blade.

Old 06-20-05, 09:09 AM
Thanks John, I'll give that a try. What would be the best method for installing a metal box that would be able to support a ceiling fan? Should I use one of the ceiling fan braces found at the home stores?

Old 06-20-05, 09:56 AM
Yes, you can use the fan brace kit. Or you could go up in the attic and put a 2x4 between the joists (it probably won't be as hard as you think).