A.C wiring question

Old 06-20-05, 02:07 PM
ally68
Visiting Guest
A.C wiring question

On my outside unit about 4 foot of wiring from inside of house to a.c. unit looks like 10 guage nm it is not in a conduit it should be right? or is there some kind of outdoor grade wiring they could have used if so how can I tell? The protective cover is still intact wondering how long it will last. Long enuf untill I have to have the outside unit replaced then have it wired properly?

thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-05, 02:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
NM is completely unacceptable for outdoor use -- it is neither water nor sunlight resistant. You could have UF cable which looks like NM, but is acceptable for outdoor use. I agree that this cable should be in protective conduit regardless. A quick slip with the string trimmer or hedge clippers could easily damage NM or UF and electrocute the operator.

Old 06-20-05, 02:55 PM
ally68
Visiting Guest
will it say uf on the covering?

Old 06-20-05, 04:16 PM
ally68
Visiting Guest
the covering on the wire I think says
awg-10 ch(or u) 2 CDR NM-B does this sound right?

It is about 2 foot total in no danger of coming in contact with weed eater or anything. I realize this is not right but the sheathing is intact and looks pretty good can I leave it like this untill my ac breaks down and needs to be replaced then have it rewired right? I will keep a close eye on it for damage to the sheathing. I check my two nheibors and theres were same.

Thanks for any help

Old 06-20-05, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UF is usually gray in color; and yes it is marked. The markings are often embossed in the vinyl, rather than printed. Look closely.

Old 06-21-05, 05:33 AM
UF is not always "gray in color". It can be white, and really could be any color.

The wire you have is interior wire, not rated for outdoors. Unless you plan on replacing the air conditioner next week, replace the cable now. You don't necessarily have to replace it all, you could install an interior junction box and then run cable from the interior box to the AC. You could use UF wire and put it in conduit or use individual conductors in conduit.

Old 06-21-05, 05:37 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
What I dont understand is most the house I looked at in our block are like this and the electrician we used when building our house is very highly respected in our area? It has been this way for 10 years. What is the risk with it the way it is beside it is not code?

Old 06-21-05, 05:42 AM
NM cable is not sunlight resistant and is not waterproof. The plastic will break down and water will eventually get in.

At best, your air conditioner will one day not work. At worst, your house will burn down and you and everyone else inside will die.

Don't leave this as is. Correct this problem.

Old 06-21-05, 06:52 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
Can an A.c. repair person do this work or do I need an electrician? Only reason I ask Is I know a guy who owns a a.c. repair company that owes me plus I need to get the unit serviced anyway.

And what are my options complete rewire or box inside and pigtail the nm to uf before it exits the building?

Can I enclose the nm in any kind of conduit?

Thanks

Old 06-21-05, 06:54 AM
Add a disconnect box and UF from the disconnect to the Unit. The AC should already have a disconnect anyway.

Old 06-21-05, 07:02 AM
If your setup allows why not run the NM into a AC disconnect box mounted on the exterior of the home (over where the nm exits the structure). And then you can run an exterrior grade wire or to the AC?

Old 06-21-05, 07:33 AM
NM is not prohibited outdoors, but it must be protected and it must stay dry. So if you can figure out a way to completely sleeve this in PVC conduit, that could both protect it and keep it dry. This isn't the way I would recommend doing it in the first place, but it might be the way to go from here.

Old 06-21-05, 07:35 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
can they be mounted on vinyl siding. Also can an A.C. guy do this work you think? Also can the nm exit the house in conduit then enter the disconect box? like 2 inches or so The hole were the wire exits has the copper and other stuff exiting also so can not mount the box over the hole?

Thanks

Old 06-21-05, 09:45 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
Also any idea about how much it would cost for the box and rewire? roughly several hundred or less.

Old 06-21-05, 01:41 PM
Can they be mounted on vinyl siding
Yes

Also can an A.C. guy do this work you think?
Depends on the A.C. guy... if he is licensed to do electrical work then sure.

Also can the nm exit the house in conduit then enter the disconnect box?
Yes.

Also any idea about how much it would cost for the box and rewire? roughly several hundred or less.
I would guess under 200. Box should be about ~120-150 couple feet of appropriate cable < 20.

Old 06-21-05, 05:57 PM
ally68
Visiting Guest
the boxes are that much the ones i saw were like 30 dollars?

Old 06-21-05, 09:37 PM
That was based off the Square D catalog... I did a little searching and found a bunch for approx $25.

Old 06-22-05, 08:14 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
Got an appointment with my a.c. guy he said he will bring it up to code.