Thermal Switch

Old 06-21-05, 05:33 AM
dlancaster
Visiting Guest
Thermal Switch

I am replacing a thermal switch for a recessed bathroom shower light. I have the new switch which has a black, white and blue wire. I know the black connects to the black, white to white, but what about the blue wire?? The old switch has the same colors and the blue and black were wired together, but when I do this with the new switch it gets hot. One electrician told me it was supposed to get hot and if it doesn't get hot enough to cut the power to the light, I shouldn't worry about it. Is this correct?? What am I doing wrong????

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Thanks,

Danny Lancaster

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 05:57 AM
What do the wiring instructions that came with it say?

Old 06-21-05, 06:37 AM
Chances are it's black to line, blue to load, and white to neutral. But the instructions are always your best bet.

Old 07-12-05, 07:20 AM
dlancaster
Visiting Guest
Thermal Switch

Originally Posted by racraft
What do the wiring instructions that came with it say?
There are no instructions. My main question is this: If the recessed light has a thermal switch built in, do I need to replace the old one in the attic at the junction box???? Currently I have by passed the attic thermal switch and everything is working well, but do I need to replace it?? And with it being wired black to black, white to white, and blue to ground, should the switch get hot???