Wiring second doorbell chime to one button?

Old 06-21-05, 07:59 AM
Wiring second doorbell chime to one button?

My basement is being finished and we are trying to add a second doorbell chime tied to the upstairs button (in addition to the original upstairs chime). Can anyone explain how that second chime needs to be wired? Simply splicing the downstairs chime to the transformer doesn't seem to work - at least not correctly. It makes noise, but it's not the proper "ding dong" chime that you would normally hear, and it also causes the downstairs chime to make a buzz noise. I'm hoping we don't have to wire the second chime all the way up to the button because I'm not sure at this point if that would be possible. Do we need to wire in an additional transformer or something to provide more power to the circuit?

Thanks for the help!
Nuzy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Nuzy
My basement is being finished and we are trying to add a second doorbell chime tied to the upstairs button (in addition to the original upstairs chime). Can anyone explain how that second chime needs to be wired? Simply splicing the downstairs chime to the transformer doesn't seem to work - at least not correctly. It makes noise, but it's not the proper "ding dong" chime that you would normally hear, and it also causes the downstairs chime to make a buzz noise. I'm hoping we don't have to wire the second chime all the way up to the button because I'm not sure at this point if that would be possible. Do we need to wire in an additional transformer or something to provide more power to the circuit?

Thanks for the help!
Nuzy
Sounds like you have to buy a 16 volt 30 VAC transformer:

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=1513

Old 06-21-05, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Follow Thinman's advice. The origional transformer does not have enough power to pull in the plungers on both chimes.

Old 07-23-05, 11:00 AM
Nilt
Visiting Guest
I'd also like some advice on this

Originally Posted by Nuzy

Thanks for the help!
Nuzy
I'm hoping someone can answer this as well. In my case, I have 2 buttons that make 2 different chimes (front DingDong and back Dings). I've got an office in my basement where I work and often don't hear the chimes. I'd like to add a new chime downstairs. The transformer is right by my office, as it happens, and my basement is unfinished. Despite knowing wiring pretty well (wired new circuits myself and such) I've never tinkered much with doorbells beyond new buttons and I don't want to mess this up.

I haven't found much online about 2 chimes; just about 2 buttons. Can anyone assist?

Edit: NM. I found there were extra posts the search link didn't show at first. I assume, then, I can splice the new chime into the existing transformer and hope I don't have to replace it?