Complete Project Add Sub Panel

Old 06-21-05, 02:00 PM
quicklearn
Visiting Guest
Question Complete Project Add Sub Panel

Hi, name is Ray and I would like to get help through an entire project and at the end do a paper to detail this project. My hope is to complete the project and provide information for other to do the same.

Project: Add Sub-Panel to current House

I current just moved into a house, built Dec 03 and I have the following.

200 AMP 40 Slot Breaker Panel in Garage
Following Appliances
30 amp - A/C #1 – Gas Heat
30 amp A/C #2 – Gas Heat
None - Gas Water Heater
30 amp - Juz in Master
None - Gas Cooktop Gas
30 amp - Oven
30 amp - Elec Dryer
Rest is 20 Amp breakers. – One free

REQUIREMENTS
I want to finish the basement and have dedicated circuits for computer center – I own a computer company and have commercial high speed lines into the house for web hosting and such. I will need 3 dedicated circuit for this equipment.

I will also need circuits for normal basement type stuff like VCR’s, DVD, Lights, Projector, etc.

I want to add outside lighting – minimum stuff, and a Hot Tub which I think will require a 60 AMP circuit.

Now, questions

Can I add a sub panel?
Should the sub panel be 100AMP?
Should I place in garage or in basement? (In basement would require about 60 feet of wire)
What type of wire do I need?
What type of panel?
What special procedures do I need to do – I read DO NOT BOND ground – got it!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-05, 03:36 PM
Q1----- Yes

Q2------- Yes

Q3------ the basement. It's either one 3-conductor cable ( S-P in bsmt) or several 3-conductors cables ( S-P in garage).

Q4------ "type of Wiring Method"----- Type N-M cable with conductors with an ampacity rating of 100.

Q5--- My preference is a Sq D panel purchased from an electrical supply house, 100 amp Main Lugs minimum, 20 breaker-poles minimum.

Q6---- If necessary, route N-M cable thru PVC conduit "sleeves" if cable is routed under the bottom of joists , on the face of studs, or across finished ( sheet-rock) wall and ceilings.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!