Wired door chime

Old 06-22-05, 09:02 AM
Wired door chime

Hi, I am trying to replace a door chime. Old chime was taken down before I could label wires. Here's what I have: There are three wires coming out of wall. Each has a red and white wire. I have identified the wire [with a red and white] that is from the transformer. How do I connect these to the chime which has a front, rear and transformer screw connection? Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-05, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First identify the red and the white pair that are coming from the transformer. Use a volt meter, or auto bulb like an instrument panel bulb. Hook the red from the transformer to the transformer terminal on the chime. Bundle and wire nut all three white wires. Attach one red to F and the other to R. Test and if the front button rings the rear and viseversa just reverse the reds on the F and R.

Old 06-22-05, 03:14 PM
attilathehun1,

If you have identified the (2) Wires from the transformer then you are more than halfway done here...lol...

Ok lets work off the Red and White color senerio...

1.) The two wires that come from the transformer....

a.) Take the White wire and take it to the center screw on the door bell marked transformer.

2.) Take the RED wire from the transformer pair and wirenut it with the WHITES from the other two cables.......

3.) Now it should give you (2) reds remaining..one from each cable.....

4.) Just place one of the reds on the FRONT and the other on the BACK labeled screws of the doorbell.....

Now.....press the front doorbell.....and it should be a Ding Dong...lol...and the back should be a Dong...lol.......if you do not like that you can simply swap the wire that you put on the FRONT screw with the one on the BACK screw.......either way it does not matter.

Hope this helps.....

Old 06-22-05, 03:49 PM
Thank you, thank you. You guys are the best.