To conduit or not

Old 06-22-05, 05:18 PM
SirMalcolm
Visiting Guest
To conduit or not

I am installing a subpanel in my garage. Using 2x #2 for the hot, #4 for neutral and ground. Do these wires have to be in conduit when going into the main panel?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-05, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SirMalcolm,

Not if you are running approved SER cable which is designed for this purpose. Now, you can't run individual wires alone by themselves through the walls and so on so if you are not using SER you will have to use PVC or Metal Conduit in order to do this.

Old 06-22-05, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
To add...if this ends up being individual wires in conduit you must use the correct colors for the two hots, neutral and ground. You also must keep the neutrals and grounds seperated electrically in the sub-panel i.e. They cannot be on the same bar, must be seperate bars that arent bonded to one another. There are other considerations depending whether this is an attached garage or detached garage.

Last edited by Roger; 06-23-05 at 08:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-23-05, 09:24 AM
SirMalcolm
Visiting Guest
Electrical Man, thank you for your answer. It is not the one I wanted but one I will have to live with. Now I will have to get to work.

Roger, thank you for your input. I did get the sub-panel part of the project right. In fact as soon as I got the panel I removed the strap between neutral and grounding bars.

If I need further assistance I know where to come. Thank you both again.