100 amp OK for dryer,range,water heater,AC?

Old 06-22-05, 08:08 PM
Heb80
Visiting Guest
100 amp OK for dryer,range,water heater,AC?

I'm looking at purchasing a house built in 1975 w/ 100 amp electic service. 1100square feet. My home inspector is 90% sure that the service is sufficient but suggested I check into it. The house has: Electric Dryer, Range, Water Heater, and Central Air (2.5 Ton, home inspector says its overkill for this size home), but I have DO NOT have electric heat, it's oil.

Am I going to have any problems or will it be a rare nuesance of resetting breakers?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-05, 08:29 PM
Let me ask you a question first. You don't have to answer me, but you have to answer yourself.

If you find that the service is not properly sized for the electrical requirements, then what do you plan to do? Are you planning on making an upgrade part of the purchase offer? If so, are you willing to compromise if they won't pay for it, but instead offer something else (to pay for half, or to reduce the price a little)?

Old 06-22-05, 09:49 PM
Without the A/C, the demand load is 115 amps. With the oversized A/C, it's 138 amps. Either way, the service is undersized. I suggest you plan about $1500 for an upgrade.

Whether or not this undersized service would cause you real problems depends on your lifestyle, and the number of people in your house. But according to the official calculation, it's undersized.

Old 06-23-05, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Heb80
I'm looking at purchasing a house built in 1975 w/ 100 amp electic service. 1100square feet. My home inspector is 90% sure that the service is sufficient but suggested I check into it. The house has: Electric Dryer, Range, Water Heater, and Central Air (2.5 Ton, home inspector says its overkill for this size home), but I have DO NOT have electric heat, it's oil.

Am I going to have any problems or will it be a rare nuesance of resetting breakers?
Need the amp/KW ratings from all of the appliances (AC too) to derive an accurate calculated load for the main service.

I came up with 87 amps for the load calculation. That includes a 1500 VA laundry circuit. I don't know if a house built in the seventies has one.

Last edited by thinman; 06-23-05 at 02:47 PM.