Need 2 20 AMP GFCI Circuits

Old 06-23-05, 02:37 PM
joeyg
Visiting Guest
Need 2 20 AMP GFCI Circuits

I am working on an addition and am installing a whirlpool tub. The tub requires 2 - 20 amp GFCI protect circuits: 1 for the pump and 1 for the heater. I ran 12/3 wire in the walls thinking I could have the BLACK wire go from 1 GFCI breaker to the pump outlet and the RED wire go from a 2nd GFCI breaker to heater outlet. What I failed to realize at the time was I only have 1 white neutral wire that would need to go to 2 GFCI Breakers.
Options/Questions:
#1 Could I have the 1 white wire split in the electric panel and go to each of the GFCI breakers (probably not)?
#2 I have seen 20 AMP Double Pole GFCI Breakers. Would this solve my problem? 2 outlets would share the neutral going to the double pole GFCI.
#3 Could I ? Use a normal double pole breaker in the electric box. In the bathroom have the 12/3 wire run to a new double-gang box that is accessable (outside the tub). Here, use 2 GFCI Blank Face Receptacles (black to one, red to the other, share the neutral). Then run 2 sets of 12/2 wire from the 2 GFCI Blank Face receptacles to the outlets under the tub for the for the pump and heater.

My electric panel is a Cutler Hammer BR Box.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyg
#1 Could I have the 1 white wire split in the electric panel and go to each of the GFCI breakers (probably not)?
#2 I have seen 20 AMP Double Pole GFCI Breakers. Would this solve my problem? 2 outlets would share the neutral going to the double pole GFCI.
#3 Could I ? Use a normal double pole breaker in the electric box. In the bathroom have the 12/3 wire run to a new double-gang box that is accessable (outside the tub). Here, use 2 GFCI Blank Face Receptacles (black to one, red to the other, share the neutral). Then run 2 sets of 12/2 wire from the 2 GFCI Blank Face receptacles to the outlets under the tub for the for the pump and heater.
Either #2 or #3 is acceptable. The first one will not work. #3 will be the cheapest by a long shot I think. The last 2 pole GFCI breaker I bought was $70. Two blank face GFCI receptacles will only be $20 plus $8 for a standard double pole breaker.

When you do share the neutral, there must be a pigtail from each outlet wirenutted to the neutral from the panel box. You cannot "feed through" one of the receptacles to the other.

Last edited by ibpooks; 06-23-05 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling