Converting a lamp into a chandelier

Old 06-23-05, 03:33 PM
dashar
Visiting Guest
Converting a lamp into a chandelier

I have a lamp that would work great as a chandelier. Is it as simple as splitting the wire and attaching it to the corresponding wires in the ceiling, or should I not even bother?? I'd love some suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks

Dasha in Denver

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 03:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Sounds like a bad idea. A lamp is tested for safety as a lamp, a chandelier is tested for safety as a chandelier. Using either in place of the other is an unlisted use and could be a fire hazard. In general, portable devices are not intended for or listed for permanent installation.

Old 06-23-05, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are thinking of a table lamp as a chandelier I would not recommend it as this would require inverting the lamp.Turning sockets upside down that aren't designed for that can be problematic.The heat generated by the bulbs will be focused on a part of both the sockets themselves and the fixture that was never intended for that.At best this could cause premature failure of the bulbs and/or the sockets.At worst it could put excessive heat on wiring and connections causing failure that could lead to a fire risk.