Grounding Bar Kits

Old 06-24-05, 01:38 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounding Bar Kits

Does anyone know of a supplier of grounding bar kits for Crouse Hinds panels?

Do grounding bars need to be listed for particular panels, or are grounding bars 'universal' in application, in the same way that wire-nuts are?

I am dealing with a roughly 10 year old Crouse Hinds main panel that has a crowded neutral/ground bus. I am looking for ways to free up some space.

I believe that if I double (or triple) up grounds, I will be able to free enough space for one neutral per screw hole. The panel label explicitly lists wire combinations for doubling up grounds, as well as putting three wires in some of the larger holes.

I would prefer to use a grounding bar and leave things neater than their current state.

-Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-05, 03:01 PM
Hi, I was wondering the exact same question as I could really use another grounding bar for a General Switch brand panel. I went to the Depot and the clerk did not know if a "generic" type was acceptable. The schematic on the inside of my panel door shows another bar in the box , but it is not there. I too would like to clean up my single bar containg the grounds & neutrals. I will watch for posts. Thanks

Old 06-24-05, 03:14 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm thinking Murray breakers fit Crouse Hinds panels maybe Murray panels and Crouse Hinds are the same? If that proves out I believe grounding bar kits for Murray panels are pretty easy to come by.

Old 06-25-05, 07:59 AM
winnie,

Firstly, Do not triple up your grounds on the bar.....some bars and panels allow for doubling up the grounds ( and only grounds ) but never triple in the bar....not something I would advise.

Secondly, on the bar itself I believe if my memory serves me correctly that post bars are interchangeable as long as they are the correct length. Granted the many manufactures sell their own bars but in general you just want to make sure the mounting holes on the panel are aligned with the holes in the bar to screw into. Most bars today you simply remove the needed SET SCREW to apply the mounting screw.

John many be able to elaborate more but I do not know of any code issue with a general grounding bar kit. Obviously if the space between the mounting holes is lets say 10 inches...you need a bar longer than 10 inches....as I would not drill your own holes.

Also I am also guessing that ANY electrical supply house will have grounding bars for many brands...we do alot of Cutler Hammer here and Square D and GE and so on...and our supply house always has the bar needed so you should check their first.