Exposed sub panel wire?

Old 06-24-05, 01:44 PM
Exposed sub panel wire?

I need to make a run (in the air) from my main service panel to the garage (detached, about 50 feet) 60 amp sub-panel.
I will be using a four conductor copper #6 wire; what type does it need to be since it is exposed?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-05, 02:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should get the arial type quadplex wire which has 3 insulated conductors twisted around a steel messenger cable to support the tension of the wire. The conductors are aluminum for cost and weight. Check an electrical supply store as the home stores probably don't carry it. You'll need a rigid mast (or second story) and weatherhead at both the house and garage also.

Does anyone else know the required ground clearance of arial wires? I wanna say 12ft., but I'm not certain.

Can you go underground and use type UF direct burial cable or are there too many obstacles?

Old 06-24-05, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by ibpooks
Can you go underground and use type UF direct burial cable or are there too many obstacles?
I would like to, but that would require trenching through a section or driveway.

Old 06-24-05, 02:51 PM
It's usually pretty trivial to tunnel under a driveway using a water hose and length of conduit.

Clearance requirements for aerial cable are pretty involved, but are adequately covered by Article 225 of the NEC.

Old 06-24-05, 05:44 PM
if the drive is the only obstacle and you can dig a bit of a hole on opposite sides then forget the overhead - it's an eyesore and you'll hate it over time, especially if you know you could have gone under and didn't.