120v line for a pool pump

Old 06-26-05, 05:50 AM
Thumbs up 120v line for a pool pump

i'm getting a new pool installed, and i need to run a 120 v line outside to my pool pump.(115v, 15amp motor) (and maybe to an extra outlet to a deck in the future.) i've never run any elecrical lines before, but i've researched it and i'm pretty sure i can make the connections inside to the fusebox and outside to the outlet. my questions are: (1.) is it safe to run the uf wire all the way from the fuse box to the outside outlet? (as opposed to running indoor wire from the fuse box to a junction box and then run the uf wire outside.) (2.) how deep do burry the outside uf wire? (3.) is a 20amp fuse large enough? (4.) iv'e heard something about connecting the pump and the pool together through a ground wire what is this and what exactly needs done? i want to make this pool as safe as i can for me and my family, thank you....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-05, 06:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have the VERY strong opinion that this is NOT a good place to start learning electrical work.
Pools have some very specific and often conplicated codes. Doing the work is not very different, but knowing what you are doing and why IS.

I STRONGLY suggest you get a professional electrician (not a handyman) to do this installation and have it inspected.

Old 06-26-05, 10:27 AM
i understand your concern, really i do. but it would be nice to get some answers to my questions. after all this website is for do it yourselfers. no disrespect.

Old 06-26-05, 10:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
In that case, in lieu of typing for 10 minutes, this link will provide all you need to know for this type of project:
Above ground pools

Old 06-26-05, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by opeth222
(1.) is it safe to run the uf wire all the way from the fuse box to the outside outlet? (as opposed to running indoor wire from the fuse box to a junction box and then run the uf wire outside.) (2.) how deep do burry the outside uf wire? (3.) is a 20amp fuse large enough? (4.) iv'e heard something about connecting the pump and the pool together through a ground wire what is this and what exactly needs done? i want to make this pool as safe as i can for me and my family, thank you....
opeth222,

no disrespect taken and I am sure Speedy feels the same way. Generally, this forum to the BEST of my knowledge is more a helping forum than a DO IT task forum as many times we harp on the CODE so much it makes some people sick. I guess the main reason is....plumbing is not going to kill someone or HVAC issues may make you hot under the collar...BUT electrical issues can kill you and it only takes 1/10th of 1 AMP to kill you if you are grounded right.

As speedy is saying I don't think it is a compitency thing more a lack of knowledge thing that can get you into trouble as the codes Art 680 of the NEC can be VERY specific when it comes to bonding and so on near pools and metal parts near the pool that need to be bonded together and so on as well as the grounding grid needed for the pool and well the point is it can go on and on and unless you understand the terminology it gets hard to post it all here...now specific TASKS in the process we can assist you with because they don't take vast details to understand.

Is the pool an Above Ground or Below Ground ....here is a link to another reference material site if the pool is above ground and may assist in your education as well on electrical installations for pools.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...laboveshow.htm

AS well if the pool is below ground here is a link to some learning information on that as well.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...perm/index.htm

In regards to your questions... # 1 - Yes and No....if the outside outlet is simply a recept for outside Wp use then yes...BUT if you are refering to the OUTLET being dedicated for the PUMP on the pool then you should not use UF as the circuit would require a seperate insulated ground wire since you are basically dedicating the outlet for the POOL Pump as well as if you are planning a outside sub-panel method then UF is also not allowed as well. Here is a nice link to a codecheck on pools along with NEC articles you should review ( http://www.codecheck.com/pg29__electrical.html ) # 2- Depends on answer # 1....if for an outside recept then see the post below:

Depth of the buried power feed is as follows:
1. Rigid metal or IM conduit is 6 inches deep.
2. U.L. PVC plastic conduit is 18 inches deep.
3. UF direct burial cable is 24 inches deep.
4. PVC & UF cable can be 12 inches deep if the circuit is protected by a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) at the house prior to entering the ground.
5. No low voltage wiring shall be installed in the same conduit with the power lines. (i.e. intercom, security cable, phone lines etc.)

Question # 3 - The pump motor itself should have a nameplate rating on the motor and should list the protection for the unit. Please refer to the rating on the nameplate or provide us with the FLA information on the motor and horsepower of the motor.

Question 4- OK......this is where it gets tough for many to understand and the links above will explain it better BUT the ground that you run from the panel to the PUMP should not be tied to the grounding grid of the pool.... and again it depends on the POOL you are doing and how it is done and so on....not a simple yes and no answer here...but electricity is never just a yes and no answer....takes experience to understand.

The bonding grid you are refering to has many variable in it with regards to metal around the pool and rebar in the pool if it is a concrete pool and so on...not for the beginner I can promise you and I do not want YOUR blood on my or speedy or anyones hands if you bond it wrong.

Read the links both I and Speedy posted....they will give you alot of information.

Last edited by ElectricalMan; 06-26-05 at 11:39 AM.