20 amp Receptacles on 30 amp Line

Old 06-26-05, 12:53 PM
Rainbow
Visiting Guest
20 amp Receptacles on 30 amp Line

I know that using 20 amp receptacles on 30 amp line is not correct, but I'm not sure why. What exactly can happen if I do?

Thanks;

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-05, 01:02 PM
Rainbow,

Basically,when a product is tested and rated it is done so to determine the safe operation standard for the device.

When something is rated 20A and listed only for 20A and is wired to a line that has the potential of 30A or more it could cause the device in question to fail and produce a fire hazzard.

Now lets say that happens.....try explaining to the Insurance Adjuster that you had a 20A plug on a 30A circuit....see how he writes his report

Now even if we are dealing in WHAT IF's and so on.....the code is designed to be a guide in regards to safety and thus the rating system of the devices are also compliant to the safety issue.

The fact is the HEAT and ARC from a faulty 20A device is just as dangerous as a faulty 30A plug...but when the wire is rated to handle the issue is sized with the correct device it reduces the risk and hazzards and possible component failure and possible meltdown.

Old 06-27-05, 09:06 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
I have read several times that you can use 15amp switches and recepticales on a 20amp circuit is this not correct?

Example

Just wondering.

Old 06-27-05, 09:34 AM
Read Article 210 of the national electrical code

15A receptacles are permitted on 20A circuits. So 15A receptacles and things that plug into them must be tested for safety on 20A circuits.

30A receptacles are permitted on 30A circuits.

40A or 50A receptacles are permitted on 50A circuits.

-Jon

Old 06-27-05, 09:40 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
ok so 15 amp is ok on 20 amp circuit but 20 amp is not ok on 30 amp
Do I have it corect now?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-27-05, 09:50 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
Attic fan question

OPPSS!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-05, 10:00 AM
ok so 15 amp is ok on 20 amp circuit but 20 amp is not ok on 30 amp
Yes, that is correct.

I have read several times that you can use 15amp switches and recepticales on a 20amp circuit is this not correct?
Not sure how far back the archives on this site go, but my guess is that if you searched long enough, you could find a thousand places in this forum where somebody said that this is okay.