Junction Boxes


Old 06-26-05, 07:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Junction Boxes

I have two switch boxes that I need to move up a few inches to make room for a new fireplace mantel that I am installing. I have the right length of wire to make this happen, but I am trying to figure out the way to do this that will inflict the least amount of damage to my wall. The only thing that I can think to do is to make some very big holes so that I will have enough room to drive the nails into the studs, but this seems like it would require a whole lot of joint compound. Can anyone offer any tips?
Old 06-26-05, 07:10 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,970
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The easiest way to add new junction boxes is to use old work boxes. Old work boxes only require a hole just large enough for the box.

However, your plan is NOT as simple as you may think it is. You cannot simply move a junction box, splice in a piece of wire and be done with it. Any and all wire splices must be inside junction boxes. An y and all junction boxes MUST be permanently accessible.

If the existing junction boxes are fed from the top then you can probably move them up without too much trouble, as you will have wire to do this. However, if the boxes are fed from the bottom then you most likely do NOT have enough wire to move the boxes up. In this case you will need to replace the existing wiring from wherever it comes from with a longer piece, or install a junction box somewhere else (like in the basement) so that it remains accessible.
Old 06-28-05, 01:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 10,942
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
The best idea is to use old-work boxes like racraft said. If you can't do that for whatever reason, just take the nails out of the holders on the new box, stick it in the hole, and run some 2.5 or 3 inch drywall screws through the box and into the stud. The flexible blue plastic boxes (not the rigid Carlon ones) work well for this as do steel boxes with pre-drilled holes in the sides.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: