Breaker Question

Old 06-28-05, 09:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Breaker Question

Hi, an empty 20A breaker in my panel is not being used. today I was going to run a circuit for some additional basement lights. Before running any circuit, I put my Fluke brand neon tester to the breaker and it shows power in the OFF position and no power in the ON position. I compared this with other breakers and none of the others read as this one does. Should I assume a bad breaker and just switch it out? Thanks. DIY to the rescue!

Old 06-28-05, 09:58 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's just weird. Either you are not conducting the test correctly, or the breaker has failed in a most unusual way.

Old 06-28-05, 10:08 AM
The way I am testing it is by touching the neon tester to the screw where a "hot" would attach. thanks.

Old 06-28-05, 10:14 AM
Bob53,

Lets get this straight....you are touching the SET SCREW on the breaker while in the OFF position and the other end to the grounded conductor ( neutral/ground bar ) and you are saying you get voltage while the breaker is in the OFF position and none when in the ON position.....hmmmmmm

Ok.......try it again....

Old 06-28-05, 11:01 AM
Electric Man, all I am using is a Fluke Neon Tester, it looks like an ink pen, but I know that you know that. When the breaker is off, I touch the set screw and my tester lights up like a xmas tree. when the breaker is in the on position, My tester doesn't light up at all. p.s. there is nothing currently connected to this breaker (no circuit) THANKS!

Old 06-28-05, 11:33 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oh, you're using a non-contact "tick" tester. That's a voltage proximity tester. It's not accurate here since there is voltage all over the place inside the panel. Spend $2 and get a neon circuit tester--a tester with two probes instead of just one.

Old 06-28-05, 12:03 PM
Will do John...going to the depot tonite. thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: