bathroom receptacle

Old 06-29-05, 06:17 PM
ladycarfin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy bathroom receptacle

my bathroom receptacle has a reset button on it. the test button on it is in and wont't come out. this receptacle control my bathroom light and the fan and one receptacle in my bedroom. i check all the breaker in the breaker box. i can push the reset button on the receptacle and let go of it and the light come on and then goes out. so what wrong and what do i need to do
thanks for any help you can give me

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-05, 06:24 PM
This is a GFCI receptacle. Either the receptacle is bad or you have a ground fault.

Depending on how the circuit is laid out, there is no need for the bathroom light and fan or the bedroom receptacle to be protected by the GFCI, but that's a different issue.

Did the GFCI receptacle perhaps accidentally get splashed with water? This could cause a ground fault. Try using a hair dryer to dry the receptacle (blow the hot air right into the receptacle).

If that doesn't fix the problem, I would buy and install a new GFCI receptacle.

If that doesn't fix the problem, you will have to determine where the ground fault actually is. It could be the light or fan or the bedroom receptacle. You will have to remove them from the circuit and reconnect them one at a time to determine where the problem is.