Attic wiring

Old 06-30-05, 09:32 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
Attic wiring

Running some nm in the attic will not be finished or used for storage, only small scuttle hole for access will use blown in insulation.

These will just be lighting and outlet runs nothing fancey 20 amp runs. Can I still use regular 12-2 nm for these runs? (I have lots of 12-2 romex)

Any other special considerations for these runs since they are in the attic?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The NM must be protected by stapling it to the side of a running board (1x3, etc) within 6 feet of the scuttle hole and where it would be subject to damage. The idea is if the wire is somewhere you could accidentally step on it, put a protection board next to it.

Old 06-30-05, 11:20 AM
The term "running board" applies to basements and a 1x3 is fine. For attics, the term is "guard strip" and is generally thought to be something strong enough to step on (e.g., a 2x4). It might be dangerous to put a 1x3 across the joists where a heavier person could possibly step on it and fall through.

Old 06-30-05, 11:28 AM
ally68
Visiting Guest
Ok non of my runs will be within the 6 foot raduis of the scuttle that is 6 foot out in all directions right.

Other than that I will be ok with the 12-2 for 20 amp in the attic. What about the insulation is ok to blow it in over the nm?

in my attic it looks like they just blew that insulation over everything in the attic I guess there would be no way to avoid the romex.

Old 06-30-05, 12:35 PM
Covering NM with insulation is fine.