Heavy-duty extension cord for A/C

Old 06-30-05, 12:15 PM
JLJones
Visiting Guest
Heavy-duty extension cord for A/C

I have a 12,000 BTU A/C unit [115v, 10.2a, 1,100w] and a dedicated single-circuit outlet for same. I want to relocate the unit to another room, which would necessitate running a 25-ft extension cord from the unit to the dedicated outlet. Before I go to Home Depot to get a cord, two local hardware stores claimed I should not attempt to use more than a 15-ft cord at most with such a heavy draw.

Question is simple: can I safely run a 25-ft cord under these circumstances? If so, what are the specs for this cord?

THANKS ALL

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-05, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You really shouldn't ever use an extension cord for permanent wiring. For this unit, I wouldn't use anything less than a 12 gauge cord. Probably a 10 gauge heavy "construction grade" cord.

I would bet it will be cheaper to install another dedicated outlet in the second bedroom than it will be to buy a cord that heavy. Another outlet is the better solution by far.

Old 06-30-05, 12:31 PM
JLJones
Visiting Guest
Heavy-duty A/C cord

Thanks -- though, as I should have mentioned, this is a rental apartment and I cannot change the wiring in any way. I'll need to come up with a safe, won't-burst-into-flames extension cord solution.

Also, fyi, here are the codes on the A/C unit's native cord, if it matters:

3/14 awg
vw-1
C5A
Type SPT-3

Cheers ~

Old 06-30-05, 12:34 PM
Buy the absolutely shortest extension cord that will reach. And buy the heaviest gauge they sell. As already said, make it at least 10 gauge--8 guage if they have it. It might be sold as something like "extra, extra heavy duty".

Old 06-30-05, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One more thing, don't cover the cord with any rugs, furniture, etc. Let it get good air circulation to stay cool. If the cord is a little too long, don't coil it. Instead, "snake" it along the path to use up the extra cord. If you must cross a doorway, buy a rubber cord ramp - don't duct tape the cord to carpet. Don't do anything to crimp the cord either, rolling office chairs, closing doors, walking on it. Extensions cords often fail and burn through where they have been pinched in something.

Old 06-30-05, 03:06 PM
JLJones
Visiting Guest
The proper cord

Thanks all for your very helpful info. I've gone ahead and purchased a Coleman Cable #02607:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=507846

Will advise if I succeed, so if there are no further posts, I guess I... didn't...

Cheers, thanks again!

Last edited by JLJones; 06-30-05 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Corrected post
Old 07-07-05, 02:58 PM
JLJones
Visiting Guest
Success

10-gauge, contractor-grade 25' outdoor RV cord arrived yesterday and works perfectly. Thanks all for your help in selecting it.