No Power in Bathroom

Old 07-01-05, 10:12 AM
No Power in Bathroom

One of my tenants moved in last month, and just told me about this problem. The complex has about 100 units in three different buildings, all have their own meters, A/C units, hot water heaters, etc...

This unit is a 2BR 2BA, and the only problem is that one of the baths has no power at all. The only electrical in there is one outlet, one exhaust fan and one lighted medicine cabinet. There is no power to any of these. The rest of the apartment electrical is fine. I've tested every breaker in the panel, and all have voltage on the "business end."

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
1) Tripped GFCI plug. Did you check those? It's unlikely, but possible that the GFCI for the bathroom is located somewhere else like the basement or outdoors.

2) There is a loose wire at one of the outlets in the bathroom. Turn off the breaker, pull out the receptacles and light fixtures and look for loose wires. A $5 "tick" outlet tester might help you locate the problem "open neutral" or "open hot". Move any backstabbed connections to screw terminals in the process; check that wire nuts are on tight. Backstabs are notorious for failing under high loads (vacuum cleaners, hair dryers, etc).

Old 07-01-05, 11:32 AM
The outlet tester and a "tick" tester are two different things. I think you want the outlet tester. It plugs in and has three lights. Plug it into the dead outlet.

Old 07-01-05, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oops, you're correct John. I mis-typed that and simply meant outlet tester.

Old 07-04-05, 03:41 AM
There is NO Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter involved. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. GFCI was not required when these apartments were built. I install them when I need to at present, as in when a section 8 or military veteran moves in and they have their rent paid by the Government. When that is necessary, I install it properly from the first outlet or device on the circuit.

Still No power to any line in the bathroom. I've tested them all and I cannot figure why the circuit worked for the previous tenant, but now does not for the present tenant.... I see no reason why the line would be compromised somewhere in the wall.

Help!

Old 07-04-05, 07:07 AM
Bob33
Visiting Guest
Try turning off the breakers one by one to see if it has tripped and reset it. Could be bad breaker or rodent damage to wiring in walls.

Old 07-05-05, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I didn't mean that the wiring had failed in the wall, but rather at one of the previous device terminals. It is not uncommon for wires to fail where they connect to receptacles especially if the connections are "backstab" type instead of screw terminals. The failure of such a connection is even more likely when high current loads are used such as curling irons and hair dryers.

Try pulling out every switch and receptacle on this circuit and checking the connections for tightness. When doing this, move all the terminations from backstab to screws if applicable.

Old 07-05-05, 09:26 AM
I still suggest spending $8 on an outlet tester. You need to find out whether you're dealing with an open hot or an open neutral.

Old 07-06-05, 09:03 PM
Should also have mentioned that I have an outlet tester. It displays zip, and I've even removed the outlets and tested the wires to them and they are dead. I guess my next step is to dis-assemble every fixture to find whether the electric enters the bathroom at the exhaust fan or somewhere else. All breakers are good, but you already knew that...

Old 07-07-05, 04:31 AM
Have you looked for a tripped GFCI?