Rectangular junction box in ceiling?

Old 07-01-05, 02:27 PM
Rectangular junction box in ceiling?

Is there any disadvantage to using a rectangular junction box in a ceiling, as opposed to a circular one? I accidentally nicked a wire above the ceiling and I have rectangular boxes - should I just go get a circular one, or does it really matter? The rectangular ones I have are deep enough to accomodate the wires.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-05, 02:37 PM
Rectangular is fine. Just make sure the contents of the box are covered with a plate, and permanently accessible (not sure what "above the ceiling" means), and that there are at least 6 inches of wire from either side coming into the box (I hope you can generate some slack).

Old 07-01-05, 04:33 PM
To generate the slack I am going to have to have two boxes and run a wire between them, which I can do. I do plan to cover the boxes with accessible plates, but would it be okay to put a (removable) decorative ceiling medallion over them?

Thanks for your help - and your quick response.

Old 07-01-05, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you may be installing a ceiling fan? You will need a ceiling fan rated box for the fan as well as the proper bracing etc.

Old 07-01-05, 05:01 PM
Yes, I am installing a ceiling fan - here are the (embarrasing!) details. I am replacing a light fixture with a ceiling fan. I took out the light and then proceeded to cut out the brace for the light so I could install a stronger brace for the fan. While I was very careful to keep the wire from the light out of the way I somehow missed an unrelated wire that was running (hidden) along the brace, buried in a lot of blown in insulation, and I cut it a little. So, long story short, I now need to fix it. So, my plan is to use two boxes and run new wire between them to create enough slack and to cover them with accessible plates - and to cover the whole mess with an easily removable ceiling medallion.

Anyway, that is the whole story - for now...

Old 07-01-05, 05:52 PM
You are definitely doing the right thing in repairing the nicked wire in the right way and best way since it appears that you have no access from above.

I'm going to step out of my realm of knowledge here, but I believe that NEC does allow junction boxes to be covered by decorative items. The code says "accessible". If you are talking about one of those snap around medallions, it sounds to me like what you plan will fit the definition of accessible. But the pro's here are better at this stuff than me....

Old 07-02-05, 09:50 AM
You mention "insulation"----- if there is an acessible, un-finished area above the ceiling such as a attic 'crawl-space" ,you can located the boxes above the ceiling.

"Acessible", as applied to any O-B's located in the ceiling, means the boxes are not concealed above and behind a permanent "finish", such as plaster or sheetrock. If the boxes are sealed with an "approved" cover, then you can conceal the plate/cover behind the "decorative" cover of your choice.

Great opprotunity to use your imagination!!!!

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-02-05, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback all - I finished the work today and it went well. I can get access in the attic - although it is quite cramped in that part - I am surprised to hear that is considered accessible, but I suppose it is.

I did learn a valuable lesson about looking VERY carefully before cutting into things!

Thanks again for everyone's help!