Running wires

Old 07-01-05, 07:54 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running wires

I have had an addtional 8 feet added to the back side of my house. I am replacing most of the wiring. There was new roof also installed in the oppisite direction of the old one. Now I have considerable space between the old roof (not attic area covered with shilgles) and the new roof. Is it OK to run wires on top of the old roof? If so must I use a running board or conduit?

Thanks everyone... Always good helpful information here

Old 07-02-05, 08:08 AM
rlbewick,

Well it depends on the space you are running the wire in. I am assuming you are talking about a small cavity between the old roof and the new roof. You could fish wires down it provided it could not become damaged from future roofing nails, roofing activity and so on.

The CODE gets real strange on protection and I will give you an example...the code clearly states that service entrances are required protection...in many forms ( ie: sch. 80, EMT,Rigid , Int.Cond. and other approved means ) but many are still running normal Sch.40 PVC and inspectors are allowing it...or running SER up the wall from the Disc. to panel and not requiring for the added protection.....should it be???? is it fine...???

Personally I think it is fine......but I digress....

If your wire is subject to physical damage then it must be protected from such damage.....if the likelyhood of no damage then you can fish it in the space without need to support...if considered fishing the wire.

I would say the old roof no longer becomes the roof and is now simply attic or void space which at that point the wire could be run on top of it and normal NB for that manner....but if open you will still need to support it but since it does not sound like an attic thats about it.

Quick Note: If it were ME...and you could access it and their is enough seperation from the old roof and the new roof in order to do this...I would personally run a 2x4 down the old roof and staple the NM to it's side for the added security and protection....But again I can't visualize what you are doing so it may not be needed.

Old 07-02-05, 05:22 PM
R
I could provide a digital picture if that would make things clear for you. Just let me know.

The distance from the old roof to the new roof where I would like to run the wires is about 5 to 7 feet. The wiring would not be in any danger from roofing nails at all. For that matter the wiring will not be in danger from anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: