EMT and COPPER QUESTION

Old 07-02-05, 10:54 AM
EMT and COPPER QUESTION

I've asked this before but without much clarity. I want to try to ask it more clearly. Here goes:
From my unfinished basement to a finished small 9'x9' office on the 2nd story is where I plan to put a dedicated 20A Receptacle for the room. I presently have an UNUSED length of copper (8' 7" long) that runs straight to the room corner from my basement ceiling. I want to fish individual #12 WIRES thru it. I want to attach EMT couplings , J Box, and offsets to the "new receptacle" that will not be recessed into the wall, Just attached. On the basement end of the copper tube I will add a EMT coupling, small piece of emt and a offset to a J box with a green grounding screw and pigtail ground. This J box will be fed by #12 NM from the panel. I guess my main question remains is the copper conduit legal ? Thank You.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-05, 11:33 AM
There are some code problems with this (copper plumbing pipe is not an approved conduit). Also if it is the length you say then it has been cut possibly with a tubing cutter which leaves a razor sharp ridge inside the pipe if it hasnt been reamed. This could damage the insulation of the new wires when you pull them thru. Biggest problem I see is that copper and emt are not the same outside diameter and your couplings wont fit properly.

Old 07-02-05, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Bob53
I've asked this before but without much clarity.
That is surprising. The answer is VERY clear. You CANNOT use plumbing copper for electrical.
Has it beed done by people who didn't have the concern to ask, or who simply didn't care, I'm sure. Is it safe or legal, NO.

Old 07-02-05, 11:38 AM
Speedy you have a much better way of saying "YOU CANT DO IT" than I do.

Old 07-02-05, 01:01 PM
I'll take those responses seriously. safety first in my house! And as I was waiting for an answer, I did find out that the outside od's are different.