Need someone's expertise for a kitchen outlet/switch...

Old 07-02-05, 10:32 AM
W. Quinn
Visiting Guest
Need someone's expertise for a kitchen outlet/switch...

I'm trying to hook up wires correctly for a kitchen outlet. This outlet has an eletrical outlet with two plugins and a switch for the sink light and one for the garbage disposal. I'm pretty much at a total loss as what to hook up to what but I've attached links to pictures of the wires and the switch and outlet. Let me know if you need more info and any help is greatly appreciated as I'd really like to get this done today!

Click here:

electrical box setup

switches

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-05, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The first thing you will need to do is determine which wire goes where. You will also need to find the wire supplying power. This would have been much easier had you marked the wires before they where disconnected. Are you just replacing exactly what was there?

Since this looks like it is serving a countertop receptacle the receptacle needs to be replaced with a GFI receptacle unless it is currently protected by a GFI breaker.

Old 07-02-05, 11:40 AM
W. Quinn
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by pcboss
The first thing you will need to do is determine which wire goes where. You will also need to find the wire supplying power. This would have been much easier had you marked the wires before they where disconnected. Are you just replacing exactly what was there?

Since this looks like it is serving a countertop receptacle the receptacle needs to be replaced with a GFI receptacle unless it is currently protected by a GFI breaker.
I agree. I tried it using the wires in the exact same configuration as before, but for some reason the light would not work. This is an old house and I've ran into some problems trying to reconnect outlets and switches in the past. This box for instance had several wires soddered together (Is this a common practice?) At any rate, I've called in a professional for this one as it appears there are too many things I could mess up with it on my own. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-02-05, 05:48 PM
The National Electrical Code prohibits both lighting and garbage disposals on the same circuit as kitchen receptacles.

Old 07-03-05, 05:48 PM
W. Quinn
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by John Nelson
The National Electrical Code prohibits both lighting and garbage disposals on the same circuit as kitchen receptacles.
Finally got everything taken care of. My garbage disposal and light are on two separate circuits according to the electrician. Whoever wired it was using one of the ground wires as part of the circuit so the electrician fixed that too. Everything seems to be all good now. Thanks for the follow up post