Electric dryer wiring

Old 07-02-05, 06:11 PM
Electric dryer wiring

I am remodeling my basement, which includes the laundry room. Currently there is no wiring for an electric dryer...only gas accomodations. Since I had my service upgraded last year I know the panel can now handle it, so I've decided to run wiring for an electric dryer for future use. Also thought it might be a good selling point if I ever needed to sell.

The laundry room is right next to the panel so I will only need to run about six feet of wire. What size wire would I need, and how far up off the floor should I locate the plug?

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-05, 06:29 PM
10/3 cable from a 30-amp double-pole 240-volt breaker to a 4-hole dryer receptacle. You can put the plug anywhere you find convenient, probably at about the same height as the dryer so that you can reach over the dryer and unplug or plug it.

Old 07-03-05, 12:48 AM
so that you can reach over the dryer and unplug or plug it
Something so simple, yet I hadn't thought of it. Exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for.

Thanks John. I don't plan on installing the breaker right now. I'm just going to install the plug and run the wire into the panel, but I will be sure to leave enough to reach anywhere. I'll also be sure to label it clearly.

As always, I appreciate your advice and help.

Randy

Old 07-05-05, 12:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by rcash54
I'm just going to install the plug and run the wire into the panel, but I will be sure to leave enough to reach anywhere. I'll also be sure to label it clearly.
Even if you don't install the breaker, go ahead and terminate the ground wire on the appropriate ground bus. You don't want a bare copper wire flopping around inside the main panel box where it could short out your bus bars or anything else for that matter.

I suppose another alternative is simply to leave the sheathing on the NM cable in the panel box. That would work too.

Old 07-05-05, 09:44 PM
I suppose another alternative is simply to leave the sheathing on the NM cable in the panel box. That would work too.
Exactly what I was going to do, but a good tip anyway, to store away for future use.

Thanks...Randy