Range hood?

Old 07-03-05, 10:36 AM
belayme
Visiting Guest
Range hood?

Looking to put in a microhood above the range and take out the current range hood. The microhood has a plug, and if I remember correctly, the rangehood is hard wired. Can I take that wiring and wire it into a receptacle for the plug of the microhood?

Thanks...
kw

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-05, 12:17 PM
Is a "microhood" a hood with a microwave oven? If so, you could install the receptacle, but the microwave is certain to require a dedicated circuit, and the hood is almost certainly not powered by a dedicated circuit. Most likely you need a new dedicated 20-amp circuit.

If a microhood is just another kind of hood with about the same electrical requirements as the old hood, then go for it.

Old 07-03-05, 12:25 PM
belayme
Visiting Guest
It is a hood with a microwave oven. So assuming I need a dedicated circuit, that's something I should have an electrician do and not attpemt that myself?

Thanks for responding.

Old 07-03-05, 12:32 PM
Many homeowners have the skills required to install a dedicated circuit themselves. Many don't. I don't really know you well enough to know whether you can or not. A lot depends on whether or not you have unused space in your panel, where your panel is, how far apart the panel and kitchen are, what's in between, how technical you are, whether or not you're good at reading and following instructions, how interested you are in learning a new skill, etc. You might want to read a couple of books on home wiring and see if it looks like something you can and want to do. It might also depend on how much of a hurry you are to get this done, how much free time you have, and how tight money is.